Planning a career experience takes time and commitment on your part. Resumes must be sent and interviews arranged. The process may require you to compete with students from other colleges and universities for co-ops and internships.
To help ensure your success, start planning weeks ahead of time by visiting our office and making an appointment with Sharon Castano so she can assist you with the internship process – during pre-registration if possible.
If you're a Wilkes student and you're seriously interested in an internship or co-op opportunity, these steps will guide you through the application process:
- Create or update your resume to bring to the Center for Career Development & Internships for review. Or, you can submit your resume on Handshake!
- Identify areas of interest and potential internship sites.
- Visit the Center for Career Development and Internships located right outside the SUB, next to the Gateway by the parking lot. We'll help with the application process including: career counseling and testing, intern/co-op site selection, individualized resume preparation and critiques, and interview-skills training.
- Schedule a mock interview with someone from the Center for Career Development & Internships via Handshake.
- Review the company website or literature prior to an interview.
- Interview with potential supervisors.
- Send thank-you notes to the employer(s) following the interviews.
- If you have been accepted, ask one of your professors to be your faculty coordinator.
- Schedule an appointment with one of the Career Development and Internship Professionals for any questions!
- Meet with your academic department chairperson, for approval of your registration for academic credits.