Wilkes Emergency Notification System
Wilkes University notifies the campus community of emergency and crisis situations using Wilkes Alerts. These messages provide information on what is happening, what to do, and links to available additional information. The University employs text and email messaging as another technological solution for communicating swiftly and effectively with our campus community in the event of an extreme emergency on campus.
This system will be used only for emergency communication and not for general information or advertisements. While there is no charge to register a phone, your service provider may charge you a nominal fee for the airtime used for receiving these messages. Possible uses for this system will include closures and delays, community crime notifications, weather emergencies and power outages.
University faculty, staff and students Wilkes email addresses are automatically enrolled into Wilkes Alerts. Your Wilkes Alert account is accessible via the Wilkes Portal using your Wilkes username and password. Parents, guardians, and family members of students should ask their student to add their phone number and email address as their second or third contact numbers.
Once your cell phone is registered and validated, a text message will let you know that you have successfully signed up for the notifications.
- Log into the MyWilkes portal and select “Click here to sign up for Alerts” on the Home portal tab.
- From this screen you can confirm/validate your mobile phone number and add/modify/remove additional mobile phone numbers and email addresses.
- After selecting “confirm” to your mobile number, you will receive an SMS with a 4-digit verification code. Enter that code and select “continue.”
- Your mobile number is now confirmed and validated!
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is WILKES ALERT?
- Wilkes University has partnered with Rave Mobile Safety to offer an emergency notification system, WILKES ALERT, capable of sending users text and e-mail messages. You may learn more about Rave Mobile Safety at their corporate site.
- What Does WILKES ALERT Cost?
- Wilkes University and Rave do not charge for sending or receiving messages through this service. However, your carrier's standard messaging and/or data charges may apply. Please consult the details of your mobile phone plan.
- Why am I being Opted In?
- We assume most people will want to be part of the communications chain in the event of an emergency, for their safety and the safety of others. The automatic opt-in is a well-established best practice for maximizing the effectiveness of an alert service. You may opt out at any time.
- What Type of Messages Will I Receive?
- The University will only send you messages related to critical campus information and emergencies. You will never receive advertisements and your information is never provided to advertisers.
- Can My Parents Register for WILKES ALERT?
- Only Wilkes University students, staff and faculty may have a WILKES ALERT account. Although your parents cannot create their own account, they can still receive alerts by registering their devices in your account. You can enter up to three email addresses and three cellular contacts for each account. Log into your account and you may choose to add additional contacts.
- What If I Did Not Receive a Welcome Email?
- First, please be sure getrave.com, rave.com, and wilkes.edu are excluded from any spam filters or block lists in your e-mail client, spam blocking programs or your e-mail service (if you are forwarding e-mail from wilkes.edu). Next, contact the Department of Public Safety at 570-408-4377 or email@example.com to be referred to the proper associates for your issue.
- What Mobile Phone Carriers Are Supported by The Alert System?
- All U.S. mobile carriers are supported.
- What If My Cell Phone Number/Phone Provider Changes?
- If your mobile number ever changes, please login to your account to update your contact details. If you do not update your WILKES ALERT account with your new cell number, you will no longer receive emergency text messages.
- How Will I Identify Incoming Messages from WILKES ALERT?
- You will be sent messages from what are known as short codes. The messages will come from either 226787, 67283, 78015, 77295 or 81437. We encourage you to save these numbers into your phone as a contact so you will recognize them when messages are sent. Some smaller carriers do not support short code messaging. For these carriers, you will receive messages from @getrave.com.
- I Do Not Want To Receive SMS (Text) Messages On My Phone. How Do I Stop Them?
- At any time you may stop SMS messages from being sent to your phone by simply texting STOP to 226787, 67283, 78015, 77295 or 81437 from your registered mobile phone. You will no longer receive messages from RAVE if you utilize this service.
- What Kinds of Contact Info Does Rave Store Per User?
- Rave stores school email addresses, preferred email addresses and mobile phone numbers if provided.
- Are Phone Numbers and Profile Information Secure?
- What Happens if I Graduate or Otherwise Leave Wilkes University?
- Students may opt-out of Rave at any time. Graduates and students/faculty/staff who transfer or leave will be removed from the Rave system.
- Who Do I Contact for Assistance?
- Text INFO or HELP to 226787, 67283, 78015, 77295 or 81437 from your registered mobile phone and you will be sent a text message with simple instructions. You may also contact the Department of Public Safety at 570-408-4377 or firstname.lastname@example.org to be referred to the proper associates for your issue.