This policy works to reduce excessive printing practices on campus in ways that align with broader campus-wide initiatives aimed at making Wilkes a more environmentally responsible community. The policy outlined below stems from a study of campus printing which indicated that 85% of students print less than 500 pages per semester and that the remaining 15% of students account for 50% of all paper usage. This policy establishes a per-student printing quota that is commensurate with the printing needs and practices of the majority of students across campus and highlights attentive printing as one way in which students might engage in environmentally conscious practices and behaviors.


This policy applies to student printing in all public computer labs and classrooms.


Printing will be monitored on all public printers located in computer labs and classrooms. Students will be allotted a quota of $50.00 at the start of the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. Students will be allotted an extra $5.00 per semester to allow for misprints. This translates to 550 black-and-white pages per semester. Blackand-white pages are charged at a rate of $0.10 per page and color pages are charged at a rate of $0.25 per page. Students who exceed $55.00 at the end of the Fall, Spring, or Summer semesters will be billed for the excess pages.

Quotas do not roll over into the next academic period.

Users are encouraged to print on both sides of the paper (duplex) as this cuts down on waste and benefits the environment. To promote the efficient use of paper utilization, quotas will be decremented by the number of pieces of paper rather than the number of images. For example, four single-sided pages would count as four pages. If the same pages were printed on both sides (duplex) it would only count as two pages against the quota.

If students know they are not going to use their entire quota, they can transfer funds to another student’s account using the instructions on the Help Desk FAQ page.

Also, if students print large jobs to the printer and the printer malfunctions, they can request a refund via the template on the Help Desk FAQ page.


IT Services will maintain a FAQ on the GreenPrint Program, located on the Help Desk FAQ page

IT Services will keep the GreenPrint program up to date, reset printer quotas each semester, and troubleshoot issues with student accounts.

Effective: 05/14/2008
Updated: 11/15/2013