Vacation time off with pay is available to eligible employees to provide opportunities for rest, relaxation, and personal pursuits. Vacation time is earned in number of hours that increment one time each month, as designated by Wilkes University. Employees in the following employment classification(s) are eligible to earn and use vacation time as described in this policy:
- Full-time employees (35 hours per week for 12 months)
- Part-time employees (Minimum 1,000 work hours for 12 months)
- Introductory employees
The amount of paid vacation time employees receive each year increases with eligible
service as shown in the following schedule:
FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES (35 hours per week for 12 Months)
Introductory Employee (Hired after June 1 of the fiscal year):
* During the first incomplete (less than 12 months) fiscal year of eligible service the new employee is entitled to accrue vacation time at a rate of 5.84 hours or 6.67 hours per month. New employees whose first day of work falls on a day other than the first day of that month will be eligible to accrue vacation time the first day of the following month.
* During the first complete (full 12 months) fiscal year of eligible service the employee is entitled to accrue (10) vacation days, accrued monthly at the rate of 5.84 hours or 6.67 hours per month.
* After completing 5 full fiscal years of eligible service the employee is entitled to accrue (20) vacation days each year, accrued monthly at the rate of 11.67 hours or 13.33 hours per month.
* After 10 complete fiscal years of eligible service the employee is entitled to accrue (l) one additional vacation day each year to a maximum of (30) days.
PART-TIME EMPLOYEES (Minimum 1,000 work hours for 12 months)
Employees who work an average of 20 hours/week for 12 months and have a minimum 1,000 recorded work hours in the prior fiscal year will be eligible for vacation leave in accordance with the following schedule:
After 1st full fiscal year of service = 1 week (20 hours) vacation
After 2nd through 5th full fiscal years of service = 2 weeks (40 hours) vacation
After 6th full fiscal year of service = 3 weeks (60 hours) vacation
Carry Over Effective April 13, 2020 employees may carry a maximum number of hours of unused vacation time over to the balance of next fiscal year, starting September 1, 2020. In subsequent fiscal years, employees may carry a maximum number of hours of unused vacation time over to the balance of the next fiscal years, starting August 1. The maximum number of unused vacation carryover hours are:
Full-time employees - a maximum of 10 days/70 or 80 hours
Part-time employees - a maximum of 10 days/40 hours
Voluntary Termination of Employment
Upon voluntary termination of employment, full-time employees may be paid unused vacation time that has been accrued through the last full month worked. Part-time employees will be paid for their unused vacation time.
Employees must provide the required amount of written advance notice to qualify for vacation payout. Exempt employees must provide at least four weeks of notice. Non-exempt and part-time employees must provide at least two weeks of notice. Vacation time cannot be used to extend the date of termination. Eligible unused vacation time will be paid in the final check. The last day of actual work is the employee's termination date.
Effective Date: 6/1/2004 Revision Date: 06/2020