Help to Keep Campus Safe: Report Slips, Trips, and Falls
Slips, trips, and falls are the largest causes of workplace injuries. The only accidents that more often result in personal injury are those involving a motor vehicle. Sometimes the injuries caused can be just as serious. Sprained and broken limbs are often the result of a slip, trip or fall.
If you spot a walking hazard on campus, please report it by dialing (570) 408-2fix. Many injuries take place every year because companies and organizations are unaware of the potential for injury at a facility. As members of the Wilkes University community, we can watch out for one another by reporting oil slicks, patches of ice, obstructions in walkways or other indoor hazards on stairs and in hallways.
The first and most important thing you can do to prevent others or yourself from sustaining an injury is to contact Wilkes facilities department and report any indoor or outdoor walking hazards. By doing this, you are becoming an active participant in the safety of Wilkes University’s caring community, and contributing to a safe environment for everyone to enjoy.
In addition to reporting a safety hazard, here are some ways you can prevent injuries from slips, trips and falls for yourself and others:
- Clean all spills immediately.
- Remove debris from floors.
- Remove obstacles from walkways.
- Always close cabinets and drawers when not in use.
- Route cords and cables away from walkways or properly cover them.
- Use proper mats in bathing facilities and food preparation areas.
- Wear proper footwear to increase traction in ice and snow. Smooth leather soles and high heels offer little traction in slippery conditions.
- Tread carefully in inclement weather. Slow down and take shorter steps so you can react to a change in traction more easily.
- Avoid carrying heavy or awkward loads; utilize shoulder straps on bags and backpacks to keep your hands free for balance.
- Learn ways to minimize injury when sustaining a fall.
- Use handrails or other stable objects to hold onto when navigating stairs.
Safety is a priority in a community that cares. Become a partner in helping our facilities department to continue providing a clean, pleasant and safe campus environment for everyone.
Remember:To report ice, snow, spills and other hazardous walking conditions on campus, dial (570) 408-2fix.