Information on licenses, registration, and other helpful resources for small businesses can be found below. Keep in mind, this is not an exhaustive list. Contact your SBDC business consultant for additional resources, including our Steps to Registering Your Business at the Federal, State, and Local Levels document which provides a step-by-step guide of registering your business, filing for an EIN number, and registering to collect Pennsylvania Sales Tax.
A fictitious name is any assumed name, style or designation other than the proper name of the entity using such name. Any entity or entities (including individuals, corporations, partnership or other groups) which conduct any business in Pennsylvania under an assumed or fictitious name must register such name by filing an application for registration of fictitious name.
- First, check to see if your name is available by visiting the Pennsylvania Department of State’s website external website.
- Next, register your fictitious name here external website.
Operating any business in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania requires several types of licenses and registrations. The information provided below is for informational purposes only; we do not intend it to be used without contacting us first if you are a prospective business owner. Please contact us before registering your business.
Steps to registering your business in Pennsylvania include:
Registering through myPATH will allow you to become an agent to collect sales tax in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, if it pertains to your business.
When opening a business, the SBDC recommends that you contact your local municipality to make them aware of the business for zoning and tax collection purposes.
The following resources are available through the Pennsylvania SBDC network:
- PASBDC eCenter (Client registration) external website
- Education & Training external website
- PASBDC Website external website
- Center of Excellence for Innovation Engineering external website
- Center of Excellence Latino external website
- Disaster Planning/Business Interruption Planning external website
- Government Contracting Information external website
- International Trade Information external website
Visit the PASBDC website listed above for additional information in areas from business research tools to other consulting services.
These resources are in addition to the federal, state, and local listings above.
- U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) external website
- SBA Loan Programs external website
- SBA Business Licenses and Permits Tool external website (determine which specific licenses are needed for your business)
- America's SBDC external website (National SBDC Network)
- PA Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED) external website
- PA Department of State external website
- PA Department of Revenue external website
- PA Department of Labor & Industry external website
- Penn State Law Entrepreneur Assistance Clinic external website
- Innovation Partnership (IPart) external website
Funding support and resources are provided by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania through the Department of Community and Economic Development, through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration, and through support from Wilkes University. All services are extended to the public on a non-discriminatory basis. Special arrangements for persons with disabilities can be made by calling 570-408-4340. All opinions, conclusions or recommendations expressed are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the SBA.
SBDC services are not available to individuals or entities that have been debarred or suspended by the federal government. By agreeing to receive assistance from the SBDC you are self-certifying that you are not currently federally debarred or suspended and also agree to cease using SBDC services if your become federally debarred or suspended in the future.