Wilkes University's 77th annual spring commencement will be held Saturday, May 18, 2024. Congratulations to our graduating students and their families, we look forward to celebrating your achievements!
- Ceremonies will be held at the McHale Athletic Center (MAC) in the Simms Center at 169 South Main Street external website.
- Graduate student ceremony begins at 10 a.m., doors open 9 a.m.
- Bachelor's degree ceremony begins at 3 p.m., doors open 2 p.m.
- The MAC will close between ceremonies for cleaning and preparation.
- Admission to the 3 p.m. ceremony will be by ticket only.
Each graduate will be issued six tickets for the MAC. Auxiliary viewing areas in the Simms Center will provide guests without tickets the opportunity to watch the ceremony on a livestream broadcast. Tickets are not required for the alternate viewing sites. Should a graduate wish to have a few more tickets, the University will try to fulfill that request. These requests won't be filled until Senior Week.
- Tickets will not be required for the 10 a.m. graduate student ceremony.
- University staff and ushers will be positioned at information tables in the lobby to answer questions from families and guests.
- At the conclusion of both ceremonies, the graduates will recess to the East Campus Gateway.
- Tobacco use and drinking alcoholic beverages are prohibited inside the Simms Center. Consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited in all University parking lots.
- Wilkes University restricts support animals from public events on campus, with the
exception of service animals.
Students and visitors accompanied by their service animal shall be accommodated in all commencement venues. Students and visitors must adhere to University guidelines regarding the use of a service animal while on campus.
Assembly of Graduates
Please be on time for the line-up of graduates. Those who are not in line in academic regalia as the procession begins will not be able to march in the parade of graduates with their classmates.
Masters and Doctoral students will assemble at the Henry Student Center (84 W South Street external website) beginning at 8:30 a.m. The final line-up of graduates will begin at 9:15 a.m. Graduates will leave from the Henry Student Center to process to the Simms Center at 9:45 a.m. Do not bring valuables to the Henry Student Center as there will be no place to lock them away.
Bachelor’s Degree graduates will assemble at the Henry Student Center (84 W South Street external website) beginning at 1:30 p.m. The final line-up of graduates will begin at 2:15 p.m. Graduates will leave from the Henry Student Center to process to the Simms Center at 2:45 p.m. Do not bring valuables to the Henry Student Center as there will be no place to lock them away.
The Deans for Student Affairs will announce the names of the graduates in alphabetical order by college, honors status, and major. Graduates will be placed in line for the academic procession according to where their names appear in the commencement program.
Students will be handed a diploma cover only on stage at Commencement for picture purposes. They will then receive their actual diploma at the Registrar’s table which will be located off to the side as they make their way back to their seats. Graduates with outstanding debts to the University will not receive their diploma until the debt is satisfied.
Earl and Sedor Photography will take a photograph of each graduate when the President awards the diploma. Earl and Sedor will provide information to all graduates as to how they can access their proofs online. No one, except for the professional photographer and the media with appropriate credentials, will be allowed near the stage area for the purpose of taking photographs or videotaping.
The commencement ceremony will be recorded and made available on the Live Stream & Recordings page.
All University parking lots will be open and available for parking on Commencement day. The University will operate its shuttles prior to and after the ceremonies to assist guests moving from the parking lots to the Simms Center and back. Parking for persons with disabilities is available at the parking lot for the Karambelas Media and Communication Center (141 South Main Street external website).
Faculty should arrive at the Karambelas Media and Communication Center (141 South Main Street external website) by 9 a.m. for the Graduate ceremony and 2 p.m. for the Bachelors ceremony. Faculty will proceed to the lower level and follow directions to the Faculty Robing Area.