You've decided where you will study, your program and what classes you will take. What's next?
Final Checks and Application
- To make sure classes will transfer as expected, course syllabi need to be approved by the department chair. Send the professors' email address to firstname.lastname@example.org so they can request syllabi. If the professors' names are not available, please provide a contact for the program instead.
- Check visa requirements. Most countries no longer require student visas for semester-long experiences and other countries require visas for any length of stay. Laws change often, so it's best to confirm with the provider.
- Filling out and submitting the actual application will differ based on program and provider. The Study Abroad office can provide any necessary assistance.
Acceptance and Travel Preparation
- You will need to wait for your official letter of acceptance from the institution, which will typically contain specifics on what you need to do next.
- If you do not already have one, you will need to apply for a passport, a visa, an International Student Identity Card external website and secure your airline ticket.
- You will be required to have adequate health insurance before departure, and you may also need various inoculations, depending on your destination. Find out more on the CDC travel guide website external website.
- You will need to make arrangements with the Registrar's Office, theFinancial Aid Office and the Residence Life Office concerning your return to Wilkes, upon completion of your study abroad program. These
offices will need to know whether you plan to return to Wilkes upon completion of
your program and if so whether you plan to live on campus when you return and who
will sign any papers in your absence. If you will be graduating immediately upon return,
you will need to apply for graduation. The Study Abroad office, in coordination with
your academic advisor, will assist you in resolving all of these issues.
- Complete the Transfer Credit Request form.
- Request to add SA 000 for 0 credits (abroad with a partner) or 12 credits (abroad through exchange).
- Pay the $75 study abroad fee.
- You will be required to attend at least one pre-departure orientation session, which is designed to prepare students for their trips abroad.