International Student Requirements

You are considered an international student if any of the below apply:

  • You do not hold U.S. citizenship.
  • You are not a permanent resident of the U.S.
  • You do not hold resident alien status in the U.S.

Application Deadlines

Once the University receives all documents, processing takes one to two weeks. We will inform you of our admissions decision through the online portal. Undergraduate admissions decisions are based on superior academic standing and adequate preparation for the proposed field of study.

Please be aware of the deadlines listed below for your completed application and all other documents on the checklist. Deadlines are dependent on your semester/start date.

Note: Once admitted, a non-refundable $1000 USD deposit is required to secure your place prior to obtaining your Form I-20.

Fall Semester (Aug. Start)

  • June 15 if you reside outside the U.S.
  • Nursing Applicants must apply by May 15
  • Aug. 1 if you reside in the U.S. and have a valid visa.

Spring Semester (Jan. Start)

  • Nov. 15 if you reside outside the U.S.
  • Nursing Applicants must apply by October 15th
  • Dec. 10 if you reside in the U.S. and have a valid visa.

Summer Semester (IEP Only)

  • March 15 if you reside outside the U.S.
  • April 15 if you reside in the U.S. and have a valid visa.

Wilkes Application Checklist

The following requirements must be completed by both undergraduate and graduate international applicants.

Please complete the relevant application based on the program you are applying to (undergraduate or graduate).

Please contact with any questions about completing your application.

High School Transcript

Original or certified true copy of your high school/secondary school record(s) in English.

The academic report should include a list of subjects studied, a qualitative rating on a course-by-course basis and an overall rating. Emailed copies are acceptable for the admissions process, however official transcripts are required to be submitted to Wilkes by the first day of mandatory orientation.

Transfer students: An official high school transcript is only required if you have attempted less than 30 college/university credits.

College/University Transcript

Official transcript from the institution or institutions if you attended a college or university (syllabi may be required to determine transfer credits).

If you attended a college/university outside of the U.S., you may be required to submit a course-by-course evaluation of your foreign transcripts to be considered for admission and transfer credits. Emailed copies of the transcript are acceptable for the admissions process, however official transcripts directly from the institution are required to be submitted to Wilkes by the first day of mandatory orientation.

If you are requested to submit an official course by course evaluation, we accept evaluations from the following companies:

If you attended a college/university in the U.S., you must submit an official transcript. Please contact the registrar’s office at your prior institution to submit a transcript request. Transcript(s) must be sent directly from the college / university to Wilkes in order to be considered official.

Notice for EdD Students

The following English proficiency requirements do not apply to students enrolling in the EdD Program. If you are planning to enroll as an EdD student, please review their specific proficiency requirements.

EdD English Profinciency Requirements

International students must present a sufficient English language proficiency score to enroll as an undergraduate student.

If the medium of instruction in your secondary school, college or university was English, the English proficiency requirement may be waived. A student must provide a letter from the school’s principal or registrar stating the medium of instruction is English.


All international applicants whose education has been primarily outside the United States of America must provide objective evidence of proficiency in the English language. However, exceptions are made for applicants primarily educated in the following countries and territories:

Exception Countries/Territories
  • American Samoa
  • Anguilla
  • Antigua
  • Australia
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Bermuda
  • Belize
  • Botswana
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Canada
  • Cayman Islands
  • Christmas Islands
  • Cook Islands
  • Dominica
  • Falkland Islands
  • Federated States of Micronesia
  • Fiji
  • Gibraltar
  • The Gambia
  • Guyana
  • Ghana
  • Grenada
  • Guam
  • Hong Kong
  • Ireland
  • Jamaica
  • Kenya
  • Kiribati
  • Lesotho
  • Liberia
  • Malawi
  • Malta
  • Marshall Islands
  • Mauritius
  • Montserrat
  • Namibia
  • Nauru
  • New Zealand
  • Nigeria
  • Niue
  • Norfolk Island
  • Northern Mariana Islands
  • Palau
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Pitcairn Islands
  • Saint Helena
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Samoa
  • Sandwich Islands
  • Sierra Leone
  • Singapore
  • Solomon Islands
  • South Africa (English-speaking, i.e. not Afrikaans)
  • South Georgia Islands
  • Swaziland
  • Tanzania
  • Tonga
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Turks and Caicos Islands
  • Tuvalu
  • Uganda
  • United States
  • United Kingdom
  • US Virgin Islands (St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. John)
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe


SAT external website and ACT external website tests are optional for international students, however, if you take one of these tests, you may use your score to prove English language proficiency.

Wilkes University will now accept the TOEFL ITP Plus for Chinese students.

Minimum scores for undergraduate students
Test Undergraduate Minimum Required Score Graduate Minimum Required Score
TOEFL Paper Based 500 550
TOEFL Computer Based 173 213
TOEFL Internet Based 60 79
IELTS 5.5 6
ELS Successful Completion 112 112
PTE 42 50
GTEC (undergraduate only) 1076 N/A
WESLI Successful Completion 700 700
Duolingo English Test 85 95

If you do not have sufficient English proficiency scores, you will need to take an English as a Second Language (ESL) placement test. Your scores on this test will determine the level you will enroll in for Wilkes University’s Intensive English Program.

Please note: Admissions reserves the right to request proof of English language proficiency of any student applying to the University.

You will need to submit a bank or government statement indicating that you or your sponsor have on account a sum of money sufficient to pay tuition, room, board and expenses for one academic year.

International Student Certification of Finances (.pdf)

You must submit a copy of the passport page containing your picture. If you have a visa, you may send a copy of that as well.

You may scan and email all documents to for preliminary admissions review.

Official hard copies must be mailed directly to Wilkes University at the following address:

Wilkes University
Enrollment Services
84 West South Street
Wilkes Barre, Pa 18766

Wilkes University will not review applications for admission until we have received all required information. You will be notified of your admissions decision one to two weeks after your all information is received and your file is complete.

Once you are admitted, a non-refundable $1000 USD deposit is required. Once that is received, the Center for Global Education and Diversity will assist you in getting your Form I-20 and offer numerous orientation programs, cultural activities and social events designed to introduce you to Wilkes University and American culture.

Additional Graduate Student Information

The following information applies to only international graduate student applicants.

Students applying to the graduate programs in mathematics or engineering must also provide the following:

  • Two reference letters.
  • Resume.
  • Statement of purpose.

Once you have been admitted into the graduate program of your choice, you are required to transfer your SEVIS number from your current domestic college or university to Wilkes University.

In order to transfer your SEVIS record to Wilkes University, please submit a copy of your Wilkes acceptance letter and the International Student Transfer Form to your Designated School Official (DSO) at your current institution and follow the procedures for international transfer students at your current school.

The DSO will complete the International Student Transfer Form and fax it back to us. For more information, please contact us:

Dr. Cathy Lee Arcuino

Executive Director
Global Engagement

Weckesser Annex 2nd
(570) 408-2616

Your DSO will then transfer your SEVIS record to Wilkes University.

Once you arrive on campus, we will issue you a new I-20 for your studies at Wilkes. If you have any questions about this process, please contact Jonathan Summers at 570-408-4106 or your current International Student Advisor or DSO.

When you come to pick up your new I-20 from Wilkes University, you should bring all relevant documents to the Center for Global Education and Diversity in the Max Roth Center.

Relevant Documents
  • Your passport with visa and I-94.
  • Your old I-20.
  • Your Wilkes acceptance letter.
  • Your completed International Student Transfer Form (could be faxed by your old DSO in advance).
  • Financial documents that show that you or your sponsors have sufficient funding for your education at Wilkes University.

Please try to have your SEVIS record transferred to Wilkes University as soon as possible, once the current semester is over.

If you plan to travel outside the country, it is recommended that you transfer your SEVIS record to Wilkes University first and then use your new I-20 from Wilkes University to re-enter the country.