Wilkes University

Veterans FAQ's

Veteran FAQs

Yes. We have a Veteran’s Counselor, Mark Kaster, Lt. Col., USAF, Retd., available to discuss veteran’s benefits or admissions questions. Our Admissions counselors as well as other staff across campus are also available for our veteran students for questions that may arise.

This is determined by your (or your parent’s) military service and is determined by the Veteran’s Administration. Please click on “attached checklist” on the Veteran’s Services page on our website..

No. Benefits as well as other financial assistance will be applied against your account and you will only owe the estimated balance up front.

Yes. We encourage all students to complete the FAFSA  (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to determine eligibility. This should be completed as soon as you know you are applying to college in January.

The VA regional offices process payments once they receive all certification from the school, however, Wilkes has no control over the timeframe. As a Veteran, you are able to contact the VA to determine if there are any individual circumstances which may be holding up payment.

The balance remaining after estimated aid and veteran’s benefits, are due prior to the start of classes each semester. The actual due date will be on each bill.
Veteran students have access to Health & Wellness Services on campus, located in Passan Hall. For additional assistance, Veteran students may contact the local VA Hospital in Wilkes-Barre.
There is a regional Veteran’s center in Scranton available to all Veterans. You may contact them at 570-344-2676, or by email at  gretchen.bentler@va.gov
All campus resources are available to our Veteran Students including University College advising center, Health and Wellness Services, Housing & Residence Life, Student Financial Services, etc. Please see www.wilkes.edu for locations and contact information.