Financial Aid FAQs

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions we receive regarding financial aid. If you have a question that is not answered here, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at (570) 408-4512 or

There is no income cutoff to receive federal financial aid. The only way to determine eligibility is to apply. Based on your information on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the U.S. Department of Education will determine your eligibility. For more information about eligibility criteria, visit external website.

If you are a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen who applies for financial aid from the Department of Education you may be eligible for a student loan, specifically the Direct Loan program. Loans are considered to be financial aid.

Our Title IV Code is 003394. Entering this code allows the Department of Education to release your FAFSA results to Wilkes University.

EFC stands for Expected Family Contribution. The EFC is calculated using a formula that takes into account income, assets, family size, number of students in college and other factors. Wilkes uses the EFC to determine your financial need; this number may not equate to what your family will pay out of pocket.

Although you must apply for federal aid each year, as long as you make satisfactory academic progress and your family’s financial situation doesn’t change significantly, you can expect to receive at least the same amount each year provided that you complete the FAFSA each year, if applicable.

In the event of an unfortunate or unforeseen circumstance such as the loss of employment, illness, death or divorce (as examples) contact the Office of Financial Aid immediately. The Office of Financial Aid will be able to help determine if additional assistance is available.

Yes. If you’re a transfer student, you should follow the procedures to apply for undergraduate financial aid.

Some financial aid websites available include external website and external website.

Or contact the Office of Student Financial Services to speak with a counselor.