Important Things to Know

Important Things to Know

  1. Allow yourself 3 to 6 months to find a suitable program and destination and another 3 to 6 months for the application process and another. So, if you wish to study abroad in the spring, you should start planning the previous spring because it involves time consuming paperwork, but in the end it will be well worth it.

  2. It is recommended that you plan to study abroad in your junior year. While it is possible to study abroad in your sophomore and senior years, sophomores may not be in a position to make the most out of the experience, while seniors need to carefully review their Study Abroad plans to ensure that all degree requirements will be completed upon their return from abroad.

  3. To study abroad, students must have good academic standing (2.0 GPA minimum and maintain that standing the entire time prior to departure. Transfer students must ensure that they complete the minimum number of Wilkes credits required for graduation with a Wilkes degree.

  4. You may study abroad for a year, a semester, a summer session, or an intersession.

  5. Financial aid packages currently cover only students studying abroad during the fall and spring semesters (with some exceptions). Please note that while federal aid, state aid, student loans, and personal loans may be applied toward study abroad, institutional aid (Wilkes scholarship) CANNOT be applied to study abroad.

  6. If you plan to study in the Southern Hemisphere (Australia, New Zealand, South America or South Africa) the academic year in these destinations starts in February and ends in November.

  7. You should decide well in advance which type of program you wish to attend so that you can structure your search accordingly. Below are the various types of programs available to you:
    1. Study Abroad Exchange: We have only one such program in UK. In this program you and a student overseas trade places and you each continue to pay tuition to your respective home institutions and pay room and board to the destination institution.

    2. Wilkes faculty-led program: Wilkes students travel overseas as part of a class lead by a Wilkes faculty member and are enrolled in a Wilkes course that is offered either in part or in its entirety abroad.

    3. Direct Enrollment: You enroll in a program overseas either directly or through Wilkes or another organization, such as Global Links, CEA, AIFS, or SIT.

    4. Service Learning: This is study abroad that is combined with either volunteer or paid part-time employment which is relevant to your studies.

    5. Internship Abroad or Work Abroad: To work abroad you may volunteer through the Peace Corps or take part in an internship overseas. Please note that in many cases a work permit is required to do work overseas for which you will be paid