Our world generates huge amounts of data - numbers, words, measurements and observations - that describe what’s happening in our lives, our organizations and our society. Translating that data into useful information is the work of data science, one of the world’s fastest-growing professions.
|Program Type||Format||Credit Hours|
|Major, Minor||On-campus||120 (16 for minor)|
Why Study Data Science at Wilkes?
Data Science draws on expertise from multiple disciplines. At Wilkes, not only will you get a solid foundation of knowledge in the state-of-the-art practices, algorithms and visualizations that underlie the field, you'll also have the opportunity to partner with students and faculty from other departments to get first-hand experience solving problems in business, science, the humanities, or a field of your interest.
Additionally, you'll have access to resources capable of tackling even the most demanding computational problems. The Wilkes Accelerated Research Learning and Outreach Cluster, WARLOC for short, offers outstanding computing power and data analysis capabilities at scale. You can be part of a team of students who conduct research with one of the most powerful academic supercomputing clusters in the region.
What Will You Learn as a Data Science Major?
- A blend of foundational computer science and data analytics courses provide a strong base of theoretical and practical knowledge you'll use every day.
- Advanced discipline-specific coursework such as machine learning and artificial intellignce builds on what you've learned, taking your data science expertise to the next level.
- In semester-long practicums, students build, deploy, monitor and operationalize end-to-end machine learning pipelines using real-world data to put theory and concepts into action.
- Pre-approved data-aware electives from other departments allow you to develop knowledge in a specific external domain. For example, if you're passionate about using your skills to support our planet, you can take an environmental science course in global climate change and modeling.
- A senior capstone brings it all together. You'll have the opportunity to leverage everything you've learned as you work on a project team under the direction of a faculty member solving actual problems.
Interested in this program?
Complete the following form and we'll send you more information!