Housing information for International Students

On-Campus dormitory (residence hall) facilities are provided by the University for those students who want to live on-campus. First-year (freshman) students are required to live in the residence halls unless they are residing with relatives or are beyond the age of a traditional college student. No campus housing is available for graduate or married students.

Each accepted student will receive a residence hall contract with his or her acceptance letter and I-20. It is important to sign and return the contract to the University as soon as possible. Once the contract is received, a residence hall room will be reserved and a roommate will be assigned (in most cases).

The residence hall contract also ensures a University dining plan.

Many off-Campus apartments (flats) are located within a short walk of campus. Most apartments are unfurnished and include basic kitchen appliances (stove, refrigerator, sink). Central heat and water are generally provided, but renters must pay for electricity, cooking gas, and telephone. Furniture may be purchased fairly inexpensively at several stores in the area.

A limited number of fully furnished apartments are usually available for a higher rental fee. Generally, renters must still supply linens, cooking utensils, and dishes in these apartments. The Director of Residence Life will provide information concerning off-campus housing, however, advance listings are not available. Basic rental fee for a one-bedroom apartment can be in the range of US $300-500 per month.

For housing information, please email Crystal Cool at crystal.cool@wilkes.edu.