Transfer Policies

Wilkes University welcomes transfer students from other accredited colleges and universities.

Transfer students must submit an application for admission and a transcript from every post-secondary institution attended (whether credits were earned or not). SAT or ACT scores may be required, and some transfer students may be asked to complete assessment tests prior to admission.

Admission of transfer students is conducted on a "rolling" basis. In addition to an admissions decision, transfer students will receive a free transcript evaluation.

Transfer Merit Scholarships

Transfer merit scholarships are available, based on academic performance. In order to remain eligible for the transfer scholarship, students must be enrolled as full-time, degree-seeking domestic student. Transfer students may also be eligible for other financial aid. More information about undergraduate financial aid at Wilkes, including transfer scholarship levels, the types of financial aid available, how the financial aid process works and how to start the application process can be found on our undergraduate financial aid page.

Transfer Requirements

Applicants must be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 (C) at their current or most recently attended institution to be considered for admission to Wilkes. All courses with a grade of 2.00 (C) or better that are comparable to those in the curriculum at Wilkes and from recognized, accredited institutions will be accepted for transfer.

Life Science Majors Transfer Requirements

Enrollment in the life science majors (biology, chemistry, biochemistry, nursing and pharmacy) is limited and admission to programs in these areas is competitive, requiring a minimum 3.00 (B) cumulative grade point average to be considered for admissions to Wilkes. Students transferring into the nursing program may register for courses only after consultation with the Chairperson of the Department of Nursing.

Pharmacy Professional School Requirements

Transfer students also applying directly to the School of Pharmacy for entry into the professional school must additionally complete a School of Pharmacy professional application external website and forward three letters of recommendation. After the file is complete, the School of Pharmacy may schedule a personal interview as the School deems appropriate.

Transfer students from two-year institutions must complete a minimum of 60 credits at an accredited degree-granting institution.

Students with questions applying directly into the Pharmacy Professional Program can contact:

Justin Collins

Director of Admissions and Student Affairs

Dr. Julie Olenak

Assoc Dean, Adms/Studt Affairs
Nesbitt School of Pharmacy

Graduation Requirements

To graduate, all transfer students must complete a minimum of 30 credits (exclusive of advanced placement credit awarded by Wilkes) and a minimum of 50% of their major field credits at Wilkes University.

All transfer students must satisfy the University's General Education Requirements. In order to accommodate the large number of incoming transfer students, however, the University makes every effort to apply courses and credits that are transferred into the institution in satisfaction of these General Education Requirements or to make other accommodations to ease the transition from one institution to another. For example, students who transfer certain science courses or sequences of science courses into Wilkes may be permitted to substitute these courses or sequences for the particular courses listed in Area II of the General Education Requirements. Substitution of courses or sequences of courses to satisfy the Wilkes University General Education Requirements is not automatic and is dependent upon a complete review and analysis of submitted transcripts (and other pertinent documentation as requested). Transfer students and potential transfer students are, therefore, urged to consult with the Admissions Office on these matters.

Grades earned in courses accepted for transfer are not included in the computation of the cumulative grade point average earned at Wilkes University.

Transfer students should consult the undergraduate bulletin Graduation Requirements for an explanation of institution-wide graduation requirements.

University policy prohibits the Admissions Office from knowingly admitting any student who has been dismissed from any other college or university for any reason until a period of one year has elapsed from the time of dismissal. Students who have been placed on probation by another college or university will be considered on a case-by-case basis.