Adults looking for a meaningful career can earn their master's degree and initial teaching certification completely online. Teachers are in high demand and, in most states, desperately needed. Meet the demand by earning your master's degree and teaching certification to teach middle level English, math, science or social studies.
If you already have a bachelor’s degree and want to become a teacher, our online program is designed to help you earn your master’s degree and earn initial teaching certification.
|Program Type||Format||Credit Hours|
Why earn middle level teaching certification?
Everyone remembers their favorite teacher and the impact of those individuals is long lasting. Become that person for students in fourth through eighth grades. You’ll do so while enjoying career fulfillment and balance in your life, particularly if you have school-age children of your own.
The program emphasizes hands-on learning and includes 12 weeks of student teaching that can be completed at a district where you reside. It prepares you to dive into subjects that have applicability for all life paths, including English, math, science and social studies. Proficiency in these subject areas means that students have the foundation for all future studies, but also that they can excel in core areas like problem-solving, communicating and critical thinking.
Interested in Teaching Different Grade Levels?
By completing this 30-credit online program and participating in field experiences at a school near you, you can test for high school and elementary school certifications – no need for another degree.
In addition to a bachelor’s degree in any field, students' transcripts will be evaluated prior to acceptance. Learn more about admissions requirements by clicking the link below.
What Will You Learn in the Master of Arts in Teaching?
- Our curriculum includes courses in assessment; reading, writing, speaking and listening; special education; behavior management; literacy and the teaching and development of adolescent learners.
- Foundational courses in adolescent development, as well as cognition and learning, set you up for success in subsequent courses in subject matter pedagogy and assessment.
- Select one of four concentrations in order to dig deeply into best practices regarding the teaching of the discipline. Concentrations include: middle level mathematics, Science, social studies, or English/language arts.
- You will develop lessons that address key academic standards, identify the learning needs and levels of young adolescent students and apply best practices in content delivery, assessment and communication with students, parents, fellow teachers and other school stakeholders.
- Apply research-based strategies to promote social inclusion, achieve effective classroom management and incorporate classroom practices that are most appropriate for middle-level learners.