How to Shelter in Place
A Lockdown Response (Shelter-in-place) is used when it may be more dangerous to evacuate the building than to stay in the assigned rooms. Examples: Violent or potentially violent incident by an angry or deranged person, uncontrollable acts of aggression, a person or persons threatening with a gun or other deadly weapon, robbery in progress, tornado warning, hazardous materials release, etc.
You must immediately seek shelter in the nearest facility or building (preferably in a room with no windows) when:
- You hear receive a campus Emergency Notification (text msg, phone call, email).
- When directed by Wilkes Public Safety.
- When directed by police or fire department personnel.
Room Lockdown Procedure:
Remain calm and stay with your students, visitors, employees or associate workers.
Lock room doors (if possible), windows and close shades immediately.
Notify Wilkes Public Safety of the situation as soon as possible without endangering yourself.
Notify Wilkes Public Safety of the type of disturbance, its location, the number of people causing it, who is involved, any weapon presence and your name. Provide as much information as possible.
Keep persons quiet and away from doors and windows.
If a gunshot is heard, keep people down near the floor and shielded under/behind room furniture as much as possible.
Maintain a calming influence over your group. Reassure students, visitors and employees that everything possible is being done to return the situation to a normal condition.
Contact Wilkes Public Safety (x4999 or 570-408-4999) as soon as possible of any medical emergencies.
Conduct a count of all persons and report any missing person to Wilkes Public Safety.
Remain in the secure room until released by Public Safety.
If gunshots are fired and fleeing is necessary, run away in a zig-zag manner, not a straight line.
Building or Campus Lockdown Response:
- The decision to initiate a building or Campus-wide Lockdown rests with Wilkes Public Safety.
- A Lockdown consists of moving all students, visitors, employees and others off the grounds and into the buildings, securing all entrances, and denying access to any unauthorized persons.
- Always begin the Lockdown procedure immediately following notification to do so.
- Cancel all outdoor activities until approved otherwise by Wilkes Public Safety.
- No person should leave a building under a Lockdown order.
- The Building or Campus Lockdown is to remain in effect until cancelled by Wilkes Public Safety.
- Ensure all Instructions issued by Wilkes Public Safety are followed immediately.