Student Complaint Process

Student complaints are best addressed by the individuals closest to the situation. As such, Wilkes University provides a process that students should follow if they have a complaint or grievance.

Enrolled and prospective students should first address any issues by contacting their instructor, if course-related, the program director or supervisor of the involved party. If resolution cannot be achieved, students should follow the institutional process outlined in the Internal Complaint Procedure. This process is outlined in both the Undergraduate Student Handbook and the graduate bulletin external website. All students, current or prospective, distance or on-ground, follow the same process for complaints.

PA and Other NC-SARA Member States

Federal requirements state that all universities are to provide a clear process for timely resolution of student complaints and provide contact information for any external agencies where complaints may be filed. As a member of NC-SARA, Wilkes University follows the streamlined complaint process they require making it easier for students to know where to start or who to contact. Students are to first follow the internal complaint process and exhaust all institutional options before launching an external complaint. If a resolution cannot be achieved through the Internal Complaint Procedure noted above, students from PA and other NC-SARA member states should submit appropriate complaints to the state portal agent for Pennsylvania. For more information, see the process flowchart (.pdf). Contact information is as follows:

Gina Wetten
Pennsylvania Division of Higher Education, Access and Equity
333 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17126

It is important to understand that not all issues are eligible for complaint resolution through external agencies. Grades and student conduct issues are not able to be appealed to the state portal agency and must be handled through the internal institutional process.

Non-SARA States

Students from California and any other non-SARA state or territory are not eligible to submit complaints through the NC-SARA process and must follow the process prescribed by their home state or territory. While Wilkes University monitors these agency websites, information may change without our knowledge. Students should attempt to resolve the complaint through the established protocol at Wilkes University before contacting their home state agency.


California is not a member of NC-SARA so student complaints must be handled through their home state. CA just recently identified the following agency to respond to complaints from their residents enrolled in distance learning programs at out-of-state institutions after all Wilkes' complaint processes have been exhausted.

California Department of Consumer Affairs
Consumer Information Center

1625 North Market Blvd., Suite N-112
Sacramento, California 95834
Telephone: (833) 942-1120
CA DCA website external website

Other Complaint Options

In addition to the above possibilities, students have the option to file complaints with other agencies when appropriate, based on the student's specific situation.

To file a complaint with the University's accrediting body, Middle State Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE), please review the complaints and third-party comments information external website from the Middle State Comission.

Middle States Commission on Higher Education external website
3624 Market Street, 2nd Floor West, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Telephone: (267) 284-5000
E-mail:; Spanish:

In addition, out-of-state students may opt to file complaints with their home state agencies. While Wilkes University periodically reviews this list, information may change without our knowledge.