Contact: John Stachacz, Dean of the Library and Information Technology
Eugene S. Farley Library
The Eugene S. Farley Library, named in honor of the first president of Wilkes University, is located on the corner of South Franklin and West South Streets. It is one of the largest resource libraries in the region, with more than 175,000 volumes of books and bound journals, 340,000 electronic books, over 60 journals and newspaper subscriptions, 84,000 full text online journals, microforms, instructional audio-video materials, and a growing collection of classic films on DVD. The library has fine collections in English and American literature, history, the sciences, and mathematics, and sizable collections in other academic disciplines reflected in the University curriculum.
Also housed in the library are the University Archives, four special collections, rooms, and a SMART classroom. Students have access to 82 desktop computers, thirty wireless laptops and forty iPads that can be used anywhere within the libraries wireless environment. Farley Library is home to the Alden Learning Commons, a technology rich learning environment that has four enclosed group study rooms, twenty open group study areas that can accommodate groups of one to six students, the University Writing Center, and the Information Technology Computer Clinic and Help Desk.
Library hours during the academic year are from 8:00 am to 12:00 midnight, Monday through Thursday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm on Friday, 11:00 am – 6:00 pm on Saturday, and 11:00 am to 12:00 midnight on Sunday. The Alden Learning Commons is opened on a 24/7 basis and is accessible to faculty and students via an University ID swipe card system. Patrons can get research help via SMS text message from any mobile phone via the library’s Text A Librarian reference service. Summer sessions and holiday hours, as well as any changes to the regular library schedule, are posted at the library entrance and on the library Web site. Library services are available online 24/7 at www.wilkes.edu/library.
Telephone: (570) 408-4250.
Farley Library Regulations
- Use your valid Wilkes University I.D. card to obtain library privileges.
- You are responsible for all materials charged out on your identification card. A valid Wilkes I.D. enables Wilkes University students to borrow books year-round at Misericordia University, Keystone College, King’s College, Luzerne County Community College, Marywood University, and the University of Scranton.
- Books circulate for one month. Renewals may be made in person, by telephone, or online from the patron access area of the Farley Library catalog – Sierra. A book may be renewed once. DVDs circulate for three days (no renewal). Charges are levied for all overdue and damaged materials. Failure to pay fines or to return borrowed materials will result in denial of transcripts until fines are paid and materials returned.
- Periodicals, journals, reference materials, and microform materials do not circulate. Reference materials, periodicals, and journal articles in print and microfilm format may be photocopied in accordance with the provisions of the U.S. copyright law.
- To provide an optimum environment for study, all cellular phones and pagers must be kept on silent alert (vibration or visible flash) while in the library.
- The University reserves the right to refer for disciplinary action patrons who have violated Library policy.
Farley Library Services
- Reference Assistance: Professional staff is available for assisting students in their research endeavors.
- Library Orientation: Group library orientation can be arranged for students upon request.
- Bibliographic Instruction: Specific instruction in the use of library collections and reference tools is available for students upon request of the instructor.
- Interlibrary Loan: This service is provided for students, faculty, and staff to supplement research needs. Inquire at the Reference Department for details.
- Media Services: Media staff will have audiovisual equipment needed for classroom usage delivered to sites on campus. At least a 24-hour notice is required. Videos and DVDs may be reserved one week in advance of the expected need. The Library Media Room (Room 002) is also available, on a first-come, first-served basis, for classes or events.
- Reserve Materials: Collateral course reading materials placed on reserve by faculty are maintained at the Circulation Desk.
- Photocopying facilities for printed materials and micro materials are available in the library. A color copier is located on the first floor. Users are reminded to observe the restrictions placed on photocopying by the U.S. copyright law. The law and interpretive documents are available at the Circulation Desk.
- Online searching of auxiliary databases is available by appointment through the Reference Department to support faculty research.
Darte Hall, on the corner of South River and West South Streets, houses a separate collection of music scores and recordings. For information about accessing materials housed in the music collection, call (570) 408-4420 or 1-800-WILKESU Ext 4420.