Dr. Ference is an Associate Professor at Wilkes University. Dr. Ference received her Doctor of Pharmacy degree from Wilkes University in 2003. She completed a Primary Care Residency at Wilkes University in conjunction with the Wilkes-Barre VA and the Wyoming Valley Family Medicine in Kingston in 2004. Prior to joining the Wilkes Faculty in 2008, Dr. Ference held a position as a Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Oklahoma in Tulsa. She is currently the Director of Care Labs in the Department of Pharmacy Practice.
Education and Training
- Doctor of Pharmacy, Wilkes University
- Primary Care Pharmacy Residency, Wilkes University (In conjunction with Wilkes-Barre Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Wyoming Valley Health Care System Family Practice)
- Faculty Leadership Fellowship, University of Oklahoma Health Science Center
Certificates and Certifications
- Basic Life Support Certification
- Pharmacy Based Immunization Delivery – American Pharmacist Association
- Open Airways Asthma Certificate – American Lung Association
- Professional Compounding Centers of America Certificate
- Foundations of Pharmacy Practice (various topics)
- Pharmacy Care Lab (various topics)
- “Assessing teamwork in pharmacy education using a secure, web-based platform: the CATME system.” Foote EF, Ference KA. Presented at the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting. Nashville, TN. July 17, 2017 (0.50 hours)
- Ference KA, Bohan K. Chapter 45: Gout and Hyperuricemia. In: Koda-Kimble, et al. Applied Therapeutics: The Clinical Use of Drugs. 11th edition. Philadelphia, PA: L Wolters Kluwer; 2017: 906-20.
- Manning DH, Ference KA, Welch AC, Holt-Macey M. Development and Implementation of Pass/Fail Grading System for Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2016; 8(1): 59-68.
- “Incorporating Interprofessional Education Experiences into Everyday Pharmacy Practice - A Safe Bet for Improving Patient Care”. Ference KA. Presented at Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association Annual Meeting. Grantville, PA. October 3, 2015. (1.0 hour)
- Manning D, Ference K, Bohan K, Robecheski A, Welch AC. Comparing the Impact of Pass/Fail Versus Traditional Letter Grading on Postgraduate Training Rates. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting; National Harbor, MD. July 2015.
- Ference KA, Ference JD. Asthma and COPD. In: Reinhold JA, Earl G, eds. Clinical Therapeutics Primer: Link to the Evidence for the Ambulatory Care Pharmacist. Burlington: Jones & Bartlett; 2014. p. 307-42.
- Ference K, Hirthler K, Clarke V, Easton D, Waline V. Student Perceptions of an Interprofessional Experience in a Clinic Setting. Presented at The Collaborating Across Borders Conference in Vancouver, BC June 2013.
- Longyhore DL, Ference K, Nanstiel B. An Elective Course in Information Mastery. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2011; 75 (2): 1-8.
- Faculty Advisor; Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association
- Wilkes University School of Pharmacy Student Affairs Committee
- Pennsylvania Pharmacist Association Foundation Board of Directors
Selected Honors and Awards*
- 2018 Volunteers in Medicine Outstanding Healthcare Provider
- 2013 TREC Part-Time Teacher of the Year
- 2013 Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association Pharmacist of the Year