Dr. Kimberly A. Ference
- 150-180 South River Street, 333
- (570) 408-2048
Dr. Ference joined Wilkes University in 2008. Before joining Wilkes, Dr. Ference held a position as a Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Oklahoma in Tulsa, OK. Her current clinical practice site is at the Volunteers in Medicine (VIM) clinic in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. VIM is a free clinic that serves working, uninsured residents of Luzerne County. At VIM, she is the Director of Pharmacotherapy. Dr. Ference also runs a pharmacotherapy service where she and her team provide several clinical services focusing on education and management for the following disease states: diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidemia, tobacco abuse, asthma and COPD. Her areas of interest include indigent care, cardiovascular risk reduction and information mastery.
Education and Training
- Doctor of Pharmacy, Wilkes University
- Primary Care Pharmacy Residency, Wilkes University (In conjunction with Wilkes-Barre Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Wyoming Valley Health Care System Family Practice)
- Faculty Leadership Fellowship, University of Oklahoma Health Science Center
Certificates and Certifications
- Basic Life Support Certification
- Breathe Well, Live Well Facilitator Training – American Lung Association
- Pharmacy Based Immunization Delivery – American Pharmacist Association
- Open Airways Asthma Certificate – American Lung Association
- Professional Compounding Centers of America Certificate
- Foundations of Pharmacy Practice (various topics)
- Pharmaceutical Care Lab – Drug Information and Information Mastery
- Introductory and Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences
Manning D, Ference K, Bohan K, Robecheski A, Welch AC. Comparing the Impact of Pass/Fail Versus Traditional Letter Grading on Postgraduate Training Rates. Am J Pharm Educ. 2015 Jun 25; 79(5): 43-44.
Choi, A. R., T. Patel, et al. (2015). Exploring unique patient care practice: implementation of affordable care act sign-up assistance program. Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association Midyear Conference. Harrisburg, PA.
Ference, K. A., J. M. Malinowski, et al. (2014). An interdisciplinary approach to developing a culture of community engagement in the Nesbitt School of Pharmacy. 78: 111.
Ference K, Hirthler K, Clarke V, Easton D, Waline V. Student Perceptions of an Interprofessional Experience in a Clinic Setting. Presented at The Collaborating Across Borders Conference in Vancouver, BC June 2013
Continuing Education Presentations
“Incorporating Interprofessional Education Experiences into Everyday Pharmacy Practice - A Safe Bet for Improving Patient Care”. Ference KA. Presented at Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association Annual Meeting. Grantville, PA. October 3, 2015. (1.0 hour)
"Every Day Evidence: Working Smarter, Not harder, to be an Evidence-Based Pharmacist". Ference JD, Logyhore DS, Ference KA. Presented at Wilkes University Continuing Education Workshop. Wilkes Barre, Pa. October 10,2014. (6.0 hours)
“Physical Assessment”. Ference KA. Presented as a part of the Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association’s Medication Therapy Management Online Training Program. Harrisburg, PA. July 2014.
“The Challenging Patient”. Ference KA. Presented as a part of the Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association’s Medication Therapy Management Online Training Program. Harrisburg, PA. July 2014.
“Triaging in the Pharmacy Setting”. Ference KA. Presented as a part of the Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association’s Medication Therapy Management Online Training Program. Harrisburg, PA. July 2014.
Ference JD, Ference KA. Asthma and COPD. In: Reinhold JA, Earl G, eds. Clinical Therapeutics Primer: Link to the Evidence for the Ambulatory Care Pharmacist. Burlington: Jones & Bartlett; 2014. p. 307-42.
Ference K . The Community Pharmacists Role in Diabetes Treatment. America’s Pharmacist. 2010 Nov; 29-51.
Longyhore DL, Ference K, Nanstiel B. An Elective Course in Information Mastery. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2011; 75 (2)1-8.
- 2013-2016 Chair; Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association Education Committee
- Faculty Advisor; Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association
- Member; Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association Conference Committee
- Chair; Wilkes University School of Pharmacy Student Affairs Committee
Selected Honors and Awards
- 2015 Volunteers in Medicine Appreciation Award
- 2013 Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association Pharmacist of the Year Award
- 2013 Wilkes University Teaching Recognition and Effectiveness Committee Part Time Teaching Award