DSS Procedures for Obtaining Academic Related Accommodations
Students who require accommodations should meet with the Disability Support Services (DSS) coordinator as early as possible to discuss their needs and submit the necessary documentation. Students should follow the procedures listed below each semester:
- Contact the DSS coordinator to schedule an appointment to complete the Accommodation Intake Form. The DSS office is located on the 3rd floor of Conyngham Hall or call x4150.
- DSS staff will review the Accommodation Intake Form and documentation. If the documentation supports the need for the requested accommodations, the student will obtain accommodation letters.
- Present the accommodation letter to each professor and meet with him or her at the start of each semester to discuss needs and to arrange for implementation of the accommodations.
- Discuss with professors specific arrangements for testing accommodations (i.e. whether or not you will take the test in class or at the DSS offices). Notify the DSS coordinator of all tests and accommodation arrangements well in advance of each test. Without advance notice, it may not be possible to provide the accommodation for the scheduled test date.
- For accommodations requiring considerable planning and preparation (e.g., sign language interpreters and books on tape), it is strongly recommended that requests be made at least four weeks before the start of the first class. Such notice will help alleviate unnecessary delays.