As the cannabis and hemp industries grow, so does the need for qualified professionals to fill a variety of positions. With the Cannabis Production and CBD Extraction certificate from Wilkes, you will learn CBD extraction and hemp growing techniques to properly and safely meet public demand and enhance your career potential.
You may also want to explore the bachelor of science degree in Cannabis Chemistry.
|Program Type||Format||Credit Hours|
Why Pursue a Cannabis Production and CBD Extraction Certificate at Wilkes?
The certificate is designed to serve the needs of current pharmacy, biology and chemistry students, as well as those working in the industry who want to advance their careers.
Full-time, doctoral-level members of the Wilkes University faculty teach all of the courses in the program. The cross-disciplinary nature of the certificate, featuring experts from pharmacy, biology and chemistry, provides you with a broad perspective on analytical methods and side effects of cannabis-derived compounds.
You’ll have access to cutting-edge facilities including growth chambers and greenhouses, as well as sophisticated equipment used for extractions and chemical analysis. Over two years, you’ll gain vital hands-on experience, which culminates in capstone research, demonstrating your knowledge of cannabis quality and safety.
As legislation changes and medical and recreational use of cannabis increases, your certificate completion will enhance your employment opportunities and give you a competitive advantage in this soon-to-be billion-dollar industry.
What Will You Learn in the Cannabis Production and CBD Extraction Certificate Program?
- Explore the growth and use of hemp, as well as the THC threshold to meet legal compliance.
- Learn about the horticulture and chemical analysis of cannabis plants.
- Examine medical uses of cannabis.
- Explore pharmacology, toxicology and chemical analysis of cannabis and cannabinoids.
- Investigate the physiology of cannabis plants and the effects of cannabinoids on the nervous and immune systems.
Based on educational and professional experience, some required courses may be waived.
- PHA 461 – Cannabis Law and Policy – 1 credit
- PHA 462 – Hemp Biology and Physiology of Hemp with Lab – 3 credits and 1 credit
- PHA 463 – Cannabis and Cannabinoids – 3 credits
- PHA 464 – CBD Analysis and Extraction Lab – 2 credits
- PHA 465 – Therapeutics of Medicinal Cannabis – 3 credits
- PHA 466 – Capstone Research – 3 credits
- Medical Botany
- Pain Management
- Neuro Psychology
Pre-requisites required for the certificate program include:
- CHM 115 – Elements and Compounds
- CHM 116 – The Chemical Reaction
- MTH 111 – Calculus I
- CHM 235 – Essentials of Organic Chemistry
- BIO 121 – Principles of Modern Biology I
- BIO 122 – Principles of Modern Biology II