The Old Gymnasium

Agnes Flood Walking Tour

Learn more about the buildings and locations that were most affected by the historic Hurricane Agnes flood with the Remembering Agnes walking tour.


Wilkes students playing basketball in The Old Gymnasium prior to Hurricane Agnes.
The Old Gymnasium, once one of the most modern buildings in Pennsylvania, withstood heavy damage from Hurricane Agnes, especially to the flooring.
The Old Gymnasium was built on property that mimicked the architectural style of Miner Hall at 274 South Franklin Street. It was purchased by Wilkes College in 1948, but wasn't completed until September of 1950.

It cost about $250,000 to build using 125 tons of steel. By 1950, it was considered to be one of the most modern buildings in the state. The gym was large enough for three basketball courts and could seat more than 1200 people.

The Impact of Agnes

After Hurricane Agnes flooded the building, the entire gym floor was washed and buckled out into five-foot waves. The building was sound but the entire flooring needed to be replaced and reconstructed. The damages were estimated to be $125,000.

The Old Gymnasium before Hurricane Agnes
Before the Flood
The Old Gymnasium after Hurricane Agnes
After the Flood

View More Photos of the Hurricane Agnes Flood external website

Support the Library

Support for the E.S. Farley Library at Wilkes University helps fund more historical projects such as Remembering Agnes..