How to Become a Young Scholar
To participate in this program, a student must be nominated by a school official (teacher,
counselor or principal) on an official nomination form. Nomination forms are available
in the guidance office of all area high schools or from the coordinator of the Young
Take One or Two Courses per Semester
As a Wilkes Young Scholar, you may take a maximum of two courses per term (spring, summer, fall, winter intersession).
A Wilkes Young Scholar may take any course for which he/she is qualified. For a complete list of courses offered in the upcoming term, please browse the current course schedule. In general, 100-level courses are accessible to qualified participants. You may find the list of Recommended Courses helpful in making course selections. Many courses require that you take preparatory courses before you may enroll; these are called prerequisites.
Most courses have enrollment limits. Participants are advised to select alternate courses in the event their first choice is unavailable.
When in doubt, you may:
- consult course listings in the current Wilkes Bulletin;
- send an inquiry by email to the Young Scholars coordinator.
Procedure for Students
- Go to your school guidance office to see if your are eligible to participate in the Young Scholars Program.
- If you are eligible, fill out a nomination form with a school official, who must approve your course selection. Your school official will submit the completed nomination form to the Young Scholars Program coordinator.
- After Wilkes receives the completed nomination form, watch your email for a message from the Young Scholars coordinator confirming course registration and providing further instructions, or for notification of any problems with your nomination or course selection.
- Pay course fees.
- Purchase required textbook(s) from the Wilkes Barnes & Noble bookstore, 7 S. Main St. The bookstore phone number is 570-208-4700.
- Submit a new nomination form in each subsequent term or semester after your initial participation.
Courses taken by Wilkes Young Scholars are the same courses taken by Wilkes University students. They are counted toward degree programs at Wilkes and may allow the student to shorten the length of time required to earn a degree by one or more semesters. To transfer the credits to another accredited college or university, the student must request a transcript be sent to that institution by the Wilkes Registrar's Office. You may contact the registrar at 570-408-4856.