Admission to Wilkes University does not guarantee admission into the Teacher Education Program (TEP). Requirements for admission to the TEP are in compliance with the mandates of the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
Admission Criteria Teacher Education Program
- Passed ED190 Effective Teaching with Field Experience with at least a 2.5
- Completed 48 credits – including 6 credits of Mathematics and 6 credits of English
- Completed the Teacher Education Program Application
- Submitted Teaching Philosophy
- Signed the code of Professionalism and Academic Honesty
- Signed Agreement of Understanding: GPA and PAPA Requirement
- Completed Disposition Assessments
- Obtained a 3.0 Cumulative GPA
- Passed PAPA or Praxis Core or have SAT scores of 1550 or ACT scores of 23
- (All 3 sections: Reading, Writing, Math)
Transferring from Another Institution
Students transferring to Wilkes must meet with the Chair of the Education Department or the Coordinator of the Teacher Education Program to have their transcripts from other colleges evaluated. The Chair or Coordinator will collaborate with the students to design a written sequence of courses that the student must complete to satisfy requirements for certification. The student may begin taking 100 level Education courses according to the plan mutually developed by the student and the department if the student meets the requirements for Program sequence.
Students who have completed their bachelor's degree may earn a teaching certificate. For more information, students should contact the Chairperson of the Education Department.