Home | FAQ's | Policies | Procedures/Forms | Training | Federal Regulations | Reports/Assessments
Mission and Introduction
The Mission of the Institutional Review Board (IRB) for the Protection of Human Subjects in Research is three-fold.
First, to protect the rights and welfare of human research subjects through project review.
Second, to foster compliance with institutional policy and federal regulations by facilitating institutional personnel’s efforts in utilizing living human subjects for research, education and other scholarly pursuits that are systematically designed and endeavoring to contribute to knowledge in the respective field.
Third, to provide education to institutional personnel on the ethical use of human subjects.
Helping researchers and instructors to be stewards of the trust of our human subjects is of paramount concern.
- Human Subject Ethics Training: Please consider taking the National Institutes of Health online research ethics course (NIH). This is a free, comprehensive ethics training program for researchers conducting research with human subjects.
- IRB Policies, Regulations, and Rules: This document provides an introduction to help you navigate the IRB review process. Read this before you create an IRB submission.
- Wilkes University IRB Application: This online application is required for an IRB submission.
- Meetings and Deadlines: The IRB meets on a monthly basis. The deadline for receipt of IRB submissions is two week prior to the meeting.
IRB Chair: Dr. Jonathan D. Ference
IRB University Official: Dr. Therese Wignot, Interim Provost
Amy Bradley, Chemistry
Rev. Marcelle Dotson, External Member
Jonathan Ference, Pharmacy
Linda Gutierrez, Biology
Elizabeth Johnson, Education
Mary Kropiewnicki, Education
Mary Jane Miskovsky, Nursing
Anne Pelak, Grants Officer
Kathleen T. Provinzano, Education
Meridith Selden, Psychology
John Stachacz, Library
Meetings and Deadlines:
Committee meetings are held the second Tuesday of every month from 11a.m. - 1 p.m. (except September and January). When needed, one summer meeting maybe scheduled.
Spring 2013 Meeting Dates:
- Tuesday, February 12 at 10:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, March 12 at 10:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, April 9 at 10:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, May 7 at 10:00 a.m.
IRB Office Support Staff: Mrs. Kelly Clisham
Mailing Address: Wilkes University IRB/Attn: Mrs. Kelly Clisham, Weckesser Hall Room 206, 84 W. South Street, Wilkes-Barre PA 18766.