Wilkes University

Types of Financial Aid

Types of Financial Aid

The Economist RankingsWilkes University offers a variety of financial aid options to help you make your Wilkes education affordable. Most financial aid packages we award combine scholarships, grants, loans and work-study opportunities. Funding may be provided by the federal government, state government, Wilkes and other private sources.

 Scholarship money does not have to be repaid. It may or may not be based on financial need. The following scholarship funding is available from Wilkes:

Merit Scholarships
A merit scholarship is your reward for a job well done in high school. We award merit scholarships based on your class rank and standardized test scores, regardless of financial need:

    1800+ SAT or ACT 28+ or top 5 percent high school class rank....................... $17,000

    1650-1799 SAT or ACT 26-27+ or top 10 percent high school class rank......... $15,000

    1500-1649 SAT or ACT 23-25 or top 20 percent high school class rank........... $13,000

    Top 35 percent high school class rank OR If top 36 percent to 50 percent high school class rank
    must have 1350-1490 SAT or ACT 21-22................ $11,000

Leadership Scholarships
Leadership scholarships may be available for leaders of student organizations, including major publications and student government.

Named Scholarships
Named scholarships are donated by alumni and friends of Wilkes to honor or memorialize their loved ones. Requirements for these scholarships vary.

Veterans Scholarships
If you served our country, Wilkes wants to help you find a way to finance your higher education. Visit Veterans Services to learn more about the Yellow Ribbon program, the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill and other resources available to veterans.

Air Force ROTC Scholarships
Full- and partial-tuition scholarships may be awarded based on individual merit and participation in the U.S. Air Force. Applications must be completed by December 1st. For more scholarship information, please visit www.afrotc.com.

Performance Scholarships
Theatre arts and musical theatre majors may be awarded performance scholarships based on an audition.

Multicultural Service Scholarships
Multicultural service scholarships may be awarded to students who come from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds and contribute to community service activities on campus. All students with financial need may be considered, regardless of cultural or ethnic background. Scholarship renewal is based on continued service to campus or the community.

Alumni Scholarships
If one of your parents graduated from Wilkes, you’re eligible to apply for the Alumni Association Scholarship. If you have a GPA of 3.0 or higher, you may apply by early April of your freshman, sophomore or junior year. Email the Office of Alumni Relations for more information.

Transfer Scholarships
If you’re interested in transferring to Wilkes from another college or university, we have scholarship funds available to help you make that move:

  • LEVEL IV - 3.50 to 4.0 cumulative college GPA..................... $12,000
  • LEVEL III - 3.25 to 3.49 cumulative college GPA.................... $10,000
  • LEVEL II - 3.00 to 3.24 cumulative college GPA....................... $8,000
  • LEVEL I - 2.50 to 2.99 cumulative college GPA........................ $6,000

 As a transfer student, you may also be eligible for other financial aid. Follow the steps for the undergraduate financial aid process to see how affordable your Wilkes education can be.

Private Scholarships
You may also be eligible for scholarships offered by a wide variety of private organizations. For more information, visit the Fastweb scholarship site at www.fastweb.com.

Grant funding is a gift based on financial need, with no need to repay. You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine grant eligibility.

 Grants include:

  •  Federal Pell Grant
    Pell grants, awarded yearly, will depend on your expected family contribution (EFC), cost of college attendance and enrollment status (full or part time).

  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
    SEOG awards are based on financial need, the date you apply for aid, any other aid you may receive, and availability of Wilkes funds. These federal funds are awarded annually on a first come, first served basis, so complete your FAFSA as soon as possible.

  • Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) Grant
    Pennsylvania residents may receive a yearly award based on financial need through the Pennsylvania State Grant Program.

Work-study programs allow you to earn money to help pay for your education and related expenses. Research shows that students who work while going to school have higher grades and graduate faster. Plus, the work experience will help build your résumé. Check out some work-study options available to Wilkes students:

Federal Work-Study Program
The Federal Work-Study Program is funded jointly by the federal government and Wilkes University. The program allows you to work on campus to help cover education costs. To be eligible, you must be enrolled at least half time and meet financial need requirements. Work-study employees receive a monthly paycheck; these funds will not be applied to tuition bills.

University Student Employment Program
This program, funded solely by the University, lets you earn money by working on campus. You’re not required to demonstrate financial need, but you must be enrolled full time. Work-study employees receive a monthly paycheck; these funds will not be applied to tuition bills.

State Work-Study Program
This program, funded by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and administered by PHEAA, places students in career-related or community-enrichment positions with public- and private-sector employers. You must be a Pennsylvania resident with demonstrated financial need to participate in the State Work-Study Program.

Off-Campus Employment
The Career Services Center can help you search for prospective employers in the Wilkes-Barre area. Full-time, part-time and summer positions are available.

Wilkes University participates in the Federal Direct Loan Program. Direct loans are low-interest loans awarded to you and your parents to help cover the costs of a college education. The lender is the U.S. Department of Education, but your loan servicer and primary contact may be a private business.