Drs. Robert S. and Judith A. Gardner Educational Forum Series Brings Education Speakers to Wilkes University
Contact: Vicki Mayk
WILKES-BARRE, PA. (Jan. 15, 2013) – The Drs. Robert S. and Judith A. Gardner Educational Forum Series at Wilkes University highlights current issues in education. Series co-founders Robert S. Gardner and Judith A. Gardner are members of the faculty in the Wilkes University Department of Education. According to Robert S. Gardner, he and his wife started the series as an outgrowth of their classroom teaching. “It’s part of our philosophy of teaching that learning should not be confined to the classroom,” he explains. “We believe that these experiences offer opportunities to be other places and hear other voices. These are powerful experiences that help people understand what education can be.”
The series features speakers from the educational and business community. All lectures are free and open to the public and teachers can earn Act 48 credit for attending. Locations, dates, topics and speakers for the spring 2013 semester are:
- Tuesday, Feb. 12 at 4:30 p.m. in Marts 214
- Topic: Land Grant Colleges and the Reshaping of American Higher Education
- Speaker: Nathan Sorber, Assistant Professor, West Virginia University
- Tuesday, Feb. 26 at 4 p.m. in Marts 214
- Topic: Lattimer Massacre, A Radio Play: A Chapter Out of Luzerne County History
- Speaker: William Bachman, Assistant Professor of Communications, Penn State Wilkes-Barre
- Monday, March 18 at 4:30 p.m. in Marts 214
- Topic: Cyberbullying: A Crisis in Our Schools
- Speaker: Jane Holter, Trainer in the Attorney General’s Office, Harrisburg, Pa.
- Tuesday, April 16 at 4:30 p.m. in Henry Student Center, Ballroom
- Topic: Panel Discussion: Strategies that Will Help Young People Succeed in School and in Life
- Speaker: Mahmoud Fahmy, Rabbi Larry Kaplan, Rev. Robert Zanicky, Monsignor Vincent Grimalia
All members of the Wilkes University community and interested citizens are invited to attend.
For more information about the series, please contact Robert Gardner at 800WILKESU, Ext. 4686, or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Published On: 1/15/2013