Wilkes University Welcomes Campus Royalty to Homecoming 2017 from Oct. 6 to 8
Wilkes University welcomes alumni back to campus for Homecoming Weekend 2017. The event, held Oct. 6 to 8, celebrates old friends, new memories and exciting campus improvements.
Among the attendees is Wilkes “royalty” Gloria Dran Elston ’57, the university’s first-ever homecoming queen. Crowned in 1955, Elston is traveling to Wilkes by way of Salt Lake City, Utah to celebrate her 60th class reunion. She will crown the 2017 king and queen during halftime on Saturday, Oct. 7 at the Ralston Athletic Complex, 302 Northampton St. in Edwardsville. The Wilkes Colonels football team will take on Widener University at 1 p.m.
Earlier that day, alumni will share breakfast with Wilkes president Patrick F. Leahy as he shares his vision for the university. The event begins at 9 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 7 in the Henry Student Center Ballroom, 84 W. South St.
The festivities kick off on Friday, Oct. 6 with the rededication of the Sordoni Art Gallery at 4:30 p.m. at 141 South Main St. Wilkes will celebrate the reopening of the gallery in its new home with the exhibit, “15 Minutes: From Image To Icon” featuring the works of Andy Warhol.
Other homecoming highlights include:
Friday, Oct. 6
- Pints with Professors – 5 to 7 p.m. at the Karambelas East Campus Gateway. Attendees will share memories and drinks with faculty and friends. Communications studies, business/Sidhu School, education, political science and psychology alumni and faculty will hold their reunions here.
- All Reunion Party – 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the McHale Athletic Center. For $20, alumni will reunite with fellow classmates and friends at this new event. The night will feature music by "The Starfires," with alumni members Robert Gardner '67, '73 and Rep. Eddie Day Pashinski '67.
Saturday, Oct. 7
- Tailgate Tent – 11 a.m. through the end of halftime at the Ralston Athletic Complex. The $15 pre-sale cost ($20 day-of) includes food tickets per person, beverages and beer. Many reunion groups will gather there including classes ending in 2s and 7s, the A-List and Doane Hall. Once again, student clubs will sponsor the Colonel’s Corner where a variety of activities are available for children up to 12 years of age.
- Golden Colonels Dinner honoring the class of 1967 – 6 p.m. in Weckesser Hall. The event is complementary to the class of ’67 and $50 for guests. The class of ’67 will be inducted as Golden Colonels on the occasion of their 50th anniversary of graduation.
- “Twist & Stout” downtown bar tour – 7 p.m. departure from McHale Athletic Center. The $20 price includes drinks and appetizers on campus, and then participants sample different bars on South Main Street.
For more information and to register, visit www.wilkes.edu/homecoming.