Wilkes University’s Women Empowered by Science Camp Runs From July 24 - 28
Middle School Girls Perform Experiments From “Bird Catching” to “Robots”
Local girls will experience the exciting world of science through captivating hands-on labs with exploration into the world of animals, food, genetics, medicine and the building – and programming – of their own LEGO robots.
Wilkes University’s Women Empowered by Science Summer Camp encourages girls’ interest in studying science and pursuing science careers. Students participate in different laboratories each day, allowing them to sample many areas of science through investigative experiences and projects.
Schools represented include: Crestwood, Fairview, Dodson, Wilkes-Barre Academy, St. Nicholas/St. Mary’s, Solomon-Plains, Brandywine Heights, Wyoming Valley West, Dallas, Wyoming Area, Hanover Area, St. Jude, Scranton Prep, Old Forge, Mt. Markham Middle School, Meyers and Holy Redeemer.
WHERE: Wilkes University campus
WHEN: July 24 - 28
Some program examples:
Robots: Monday, July 24, 12:30 to 1:45 p.m. and 2 to 3:15 p.m. and Thursday, July 27, 9 to 10:15 a.m. and 10:30 to 11:45 a.m., Stark Learning Center, 411, 405, 409, 424
- Returning students will program their LEGO robots to perform tasks. They will add attachments to their robots to pick up or move objects. The tasks include cleaning the dust off solar panels on Mars or repairing underwater pipelines while avoiding sharks! Participants will program autonomous robots to complete basic missions including delivery, infrastructure repair and toxic waste cleanup.
Bird Catching: Monday July 24 and Tuesday, July 25, 9 to 10:15 a.m. and 10:30 to 11:45 a.m., Kirby Park
- Campers will catch birds and learn how to safely handle them while taking basic measurements. They will also learn how birds influence forests and human life. Note: Please call 570-466-5532 to meet the group in Kirby Park.
Spa Spectacular: Tuesday July 25, 9 to 10:15 a.m. and 10:30 to 11:45 a.m.
- Students will compound their own spa products in the pharmacy lab. They will be able to make and take home their own lip balm, lip gloss, foot scrub and personal perfume.
Oh Say, Can You Seed: Monday, July 24, 12:30 to 11:45 p.m. and 2 to 3:15 p.m., Cohen Science Center 204
- This lab provides campers with a squirrel’s eye view of a forest. They will learn how squirrels shape the forest, look at life inside of an acorn and explore forest objects using microscopes.
Solar Cooking: Monday, July 24, 12:30 to 1:45 p.m. and 2 to 3:15 p.m., Cohen Science Center 102
- Campers will investigate the benefits of supplying energy needs from renewable energy sources. Each student will build a pizza box solar oven and will use them to cook up a treat.