Students In SHINE of Luzerne County Become College Students For A Day On July 12 and 13 At Wilkes University
Students in the Luzerne County SHINE Program at Wilkes University will observe National Summer Learning Day on July 12 and 13 when they experience being a college student for a day.
Students will be on campus at Wilkes University from 9 a.m. to 3:45 p.m., attending special classes, eating lunch in the cafeteria and learning that there’s no vacation from learning new things. During the school year, SHINE students get special academic experiences at eight afterschool centers in five Luzerne County school districts – Hanover Area, Hazleton Area, Nanticoke. Wilkes-Barre Area and Wyoming Valley West.
On Wednesday, July 12, students in grades 1 to 4 will come to Wilkes. The next day, Thursday, July 13, students in grades 5 to 8 will visit the University. Highlights from each day’s schedule are listed below.
July 12 and 13 Schedule (Same both days: Grades 1-4 visit July 12 and Grades 5-8 visit July 13)
- 9:15 a.m. – Entrepreneurship: What do Oreo cookies have to do with being an entrepreneur? Students find out in this session. Location: Room 127 of the University Center on Main
- 10 a.m. – Creative Writing: Who will write the next best seller? Students will try their hand at telling some tales. Location: Ballroom, Henry Student Center
- 10:45 a.m. – Nursing: Students will see a demonstration and get hands-on experience with nursing mannequins that breath and have heart beats. Location: Nursing simulation center, Stark Learning Center, Room 005 (lower level)
- 11:30 a.m. – Finance: Students learn about money matters in a class about personal finance. Location:
Room 212, University Center on Main
- 12:15 p.m. – It’s instant ice cream – with the right ingredients and the magical addition of liquid nitrogen! Location: Cafeteria, third floor, Henry Student Center
- 1:25 p.m. – Teaching “matters” – as students learn in this session about careers in education. Location: Room 002,
Lower Level, Farley Library.
- 2:10 p.m. – Radio Rocks – Students go behind the scenes at radio station WCLH. Location: Room 320, Dorothy
Dickson Darte Center
- 2:55 p.m. – Gandalf and Harry Potter have nothing on the SHINE students as they become Wizards of Physics (and learn there’s some scientific theory behind magic!) Location: Room 305, Stark Learning Center