Wilkes University

Transfer Student Housing

Welcome to your new home away from home!  

The information below is designed to answer any questions you might have about living on campus at Wilkes University.  If you have a specific question and cannot find the answer here, please feel free to contact us at (570) 408-4350 or reslife@wilkes.edu.

Those selecting on-campus living must fill out the online housing and dining contract.  Please note that students are contracted for housing and meal plans the full academic year and incoming transfer students that live on campus are required to have a meal plan.  Find out more about Dining Services on campus on the University’s website.

To Apply for On-campus Housing:

Please follow these eight, great steps!

  1. Log onto the Wilkes Portal (portal.wilkes.edu)
  2. Click on the "Student" Tab, then click "Student" from the drop down
  3. Scroll down to the "Housing and Dining" Box
  4. Click on the link "My On Campus Housing & Dining"
  5. Once you have entered your profile, click on the Application Tab
  6. Click on Transfer Student Housing Application
  7. Follow the step-by-step instructions on the right hand side of the page
  8. At the end, click submit

You will receive an e-mail confirmation with a copy of the Housing & Dining contract

Transfer students have the opportunity to live in 40 West, Catlin Hall, Rifkin Hall, Slocum Hall, Sterling Hall, Sullivan Hall, Weiss Hall or University Towers. Find out more about our Residence Halls.

ATTENTION: Incoming transfer students must apply for housing online to receive full consideration for campus housing for the upcoming academic year. The $300 deposit paid to the University for Admissions already includes the deposit for housing as well!  

Move in information can be found on our Move In Day Website

Before move in:  

  • Check the Transfer Orientation Website
    • For the fall: information will be available in June
  • Visit Public Safety and pick up your Wilkes ID
  • Apply for Parking
    • Contact our office, (570) 408-4350

Residence Halls & Amenities FAQs

What furnishings are provided?

Each student has:
  • 1 twin bed (mattress and box spring)
  • 1 desk
  • 1 desk chair
  • 1 dresser
  • 1 armoire if there isn’t a closet in the room

Everything that a student finds in a room must stay in the room.  Furniture may not be moved from the room, as there are no available storage spaces.

What size are the mattresses in the residence halls?
Mattresses in our residence halls are extra-long (36"x80").  Extra-long sheets are the best choice to ensure a good fit!

May Students have appliances?

The following appliances are permitted in our halls:

  • Alarm Clock
  • Coffee Maker (automatic)
  • Computer
  • Desk Lamp (non- halogen)
  • Fan
  • Microwave
  • Radio/ Stereo
  • Refrigerator (5.0 cu. Ft. maximum)
  • Television

Students are not permitted to bring the following:

  • Crock Pots
  • George Foreman Grill
  • Halogen lamps
  • Heating coils
  • Mini grills
  • Toaster Oven
Will students have Internet usage in their rooms?
We have “a port for every pillow”.  Further information will be given to the student when they arrive on campus during Welcome Weekend! Our Residence Halls will be wireless soon!

Are phones available in each room?
Phones are not provided; one of the residents must bring a phone for the room. The students have unlimited local calling.  In regards to long distance calls, students can use calling cards.

Who does the cleaning?

Housekeepers are employed by the University to clean the common spaces: hallways, bathrooms, and lounges. Students should bring cleaning supplies if they have an apartment or a private bathroom.

Are there laundry machines available for student use?

Washers and dryers are located within the laundry rooms in the residence halls and they are free of charge.


Residence Hall Policies FAQs

Can I have visitors to my room?
Residential students are permitted to have visitors. All residence halls are locked 24 hours a day. Only residents of the building can gain access with their ID card or front door key. Visitors must be escorted at all times and residents are fully responsible for the behavior of their visitors. Additional information about the visitation policy is available in the Student Handbook.

Can I have a pet in my room?
In order to maintain our facilities and manage air quality for students with allergies, pets (other than fish in a 10-gallon or smaller tank) are not permitted in the residence halls.

Are students allowed to smoke in the residence halls?
In support of student health and safety, smoking is strictly prohibited in all buildings on campus. Smoking outside of University buildings must be a minimum of 6 feet from any entrances.

Can I have a car on campus? Where can I park?

First-year students are permitted to bring a vehicle to campus. Students may park only in the lot assigned to them. Parking permits are required and applications will be available during Summer Orientation.

Is there a living requirement?
Yes! All full-time undergraduate students of first-year student(s) and sophomore standing who do not commute from the home of their parent or legal guardian must reside on campus.  Students achieving junior class standing may reside off campus. A commutable distance is defined as being no greater than 50 miles away from campus. We do have a housing exemption process for those extenuating circumstances.  Please make an appointment with the Director or Assistant Director of Residence Life in order to learn about the process.  Below is the housing exemption form, this is to be filled out after a meeting with the Director or Assistant Director of Residence Life.