Dr. Bommareddy joined the department in the fall of 2009 after completing a two year postdoctoral research work at the University Of Pittsburgh School Of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology & Chemical Biology in the area of cancer chemoprevention using naturally occurring phytochemicals. He received his Ph.D in 2007 from South Dakota State University with a specialization in pharmaceutical Sciences where his dissertation focused on investigating “chemoprevntive properties of dietary flaxseed meal on colon tumor development” using cell culture and animal models.
In the department, Dr. Bommareddy maintains an active research profile in the areas of prostate and breast cancer chemoprevention using naturally occurring phytochemicals. On the teaching front, he teaches introductory anatomy & physiology (PHA 331/332) course in the spring semester to P-1 class and also pharmacology of various disease states, e.g., endocrine (PHA 526), neoplastic (PHA528), and renal (PHA 525) to P-3 class. He has also developed an elective on phytochemicals and their role on health & disease (PHA 556).
Dr. Bommareddy teaches the following courses in the Pharm. D curriculum
- Role of Phytochemicals in Health & Disease (PHA 596 – Elective)
- Human Anatomy & Physiology (PHA 332)
- Medical Microbiology (PHA 327) – Starting Fall 2019
- Autonomic Nervous system & Homeostasis (PHA 421)
- Smoking cessation & Pharmacology of agents used in Respiratory complications (PHA 521)
- Pharmacology of agents used in Renal complications (PHA 525)
- Pharmacology & Medicinal Chem of agents used in endocrine disorders, Women and Men’s health complications (PHA 526)
- Pharmacology & Medicinal Chem of agents used in the treatment of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease (PHA 530)
- Pharmacology & Medicinal Chem of agents used in Neoplastic disorders (PHA 528)
In addition, he also teaches courses in the Master’s program.
- Bommareddy A, Knapp K, Nemeth A, Steigerwalt J, Landis T, Vanwert AL, Gorijavolu HP, Dwivedi . Alpha-Santalol, a Component of Sandalwood Oil Inhibits Migration of Breast Cancer Cells by Targeting the β-catenin Pathway. Anticancer Research. 2018, 38 (8) 4475-4480.
- Bommareddy A, Brozena S, Steigerwalt J, Landis T, Hughes S, Mabry E, Knopp A, VanWert AL, Dwivedi C. Medicinal properties of alpha-santalol, a constituent of sandalwood oil, Nat Prod Res. 2017 Nov 13:1-17.
- Bommareddy A, Crisamore K, Fillman S, Brozena S, Steigerwalt, J, Vanwert AL and Dwivedi C. Survivin down regulation by α-santalol is not mediated through PI3K-AKT pathway in human breast cancer cells. Anticancer Research 35(10):5353-7, 2015.
- VanWert AL, McCune DM, Brown KM, Bommareddy A, Manning DH, Roman CL. Sodium Oxybate for Narcolepsy: Explaining Untoward Effects and Recommending New Approaches in Light of Prevailing Receptor Pharmacology. Journal of Pharmacy Technology 30(6): 240-243, 2014.
Abstracts & poster presentations
- Ajay Bommareddy, Kacey Knapp, Abigail Nemeth and Chandradhar Dwivedi. Alpha-santalol, a component of sandalwood oil inhibits migration of breast cancer cells by targeting β-catenin pathway. American Association of Cancer Research, Atlanta, Georgia, March 29 – April 3rd, 2019.
- Ashely Eden, Kirsten Fisher, Rebecca Pfeffer, Ajay Bommareddy and Dominick Trombetta. Effects of allopurinol in reducing antipsychotic medication initiation in Alzheimer’s disease. ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, Anaheim, CA, Dec 2- 6, 2018.
- Ajay Bommareddy, Adam VanWert and Chandradhar Dwivedi. Inhibition of Akt-Survivin Pathway Synergizes the Cell Death Caused by Alpha-Santalol in Human Prostate Cancer Cells. 119th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, Boston, Massachusetts, July 21-25, 2018.
- Thomas S Franko, Vicky Shah, Ajay Bommareddy and Ka Hong. Evaluation of Long Term Retention and Utilization of the SBAR Communication Technique. 119th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, Boston, Massachusetts, July 21-25, 2018.
- Ajay Bommareddy, Jennifer Malinowski, Julie Olenak and Bernard W. Graham. Capturing and Assessing Student Initiated Co-Curricular Activities to Enhance Advisor Guidance. 112th annual AACP meeting, Nashville, TN (July, 2017). AJPE; 81 (5) Article S6.
- Ajay Bommareddy, James Steigerwalt, Karryn Crisamore, Sarah Brozena, Terra Landis, Adam VanWert and Chandradhar Dwivedi. Alpha-Santalol Inhibits Migration of Breast Cancer Cells by targeting β-Catenin Pathway. 112th annual AACP meeting, Nashville, TN (July, 2017). AJPE; 81 (5) Article S6.
- Zarfoss E, Eden A, VanWert A, Bommareddy A, Bolesta S. Feasibility of determining oxidative biomarkers in healthy human subjects after oral vitamin C administration. American College of Clinical Pharmacology (ACCP) Annual Meeting. Phoenix, AZ; October 2017.
- Ajay Bommareddy, Karryn Crisamore, Sarah Fillman, Sarah Brozena, James Steigerwalt, Adam L Vanwert and Chandradhar Dwivedi. Survivin down regulation by α-santalol is not mediated through PI3K-AKT pathway in human breast cancer cells. 107th annual AACR conference, New Orleans (April 20th 2016)
- KM Brown, TD Aungst, C Castro, A Bommareddy, AL VanWert and DF McCune. Alpha-1 adrenergic subtype specific activation of ERK in human primary smooth muscle cells. Experimental Biology conference, San Diego (April 26th 2014).
- Wolman A, Bommareddy A, Gionfriddo M, Witkowski S, Heindel G, Mukhija P, VanWert A. Organic Anion Transporter 3 (Oat3) Interacts Selectively with Lipophilic β-Lactam Antibiotics. AAPS J, 2013.
- Ajay Bommareddy, Adam L Vanwert, Dan F McCune, Sarah L Brozena, Zbigniew Witczak and Shivendra V. Singh. The role of organosulfur compounds derived from allium vegetables in cancer prevention and therapy. Springer International, Critical dietary factors in cancer chemoprevention. 111-152, 2016.
- Witczak ZJ, Bommareddy A, VanWert AL. Pederin, Psymberin and the Structurally Related Mycalamides: Synthetic Aspects and Biological Activities. In: Kim SK, editor. Handbook of Anticancer Drugs from Marine Origin. Springer; 683-700, ISBN: 978-3-319-07145-9 (online), 2015.
- 2018 Awarded “Overall Teacher of the Year” award, Nesbitt School of Pharmacy, Wilkes University
- 2017 Awarded “Outstanding advisor” award, Teacher Recognition and Effectiveness Committee, Wilkes University, Wilkes-Barre, PA
- 2016 Nominated for “alumni mentor award”, Nesbitt School of Pharmacy, Wilkes University, Wilkes-Barre, PA