Dr. Welch joined Wilkes University in 2004. He has worked experientially with two independent
pharmacies, DeBalko’s Standard Drug in McAdoo and the Medicine Shoppe in Luzerne.
He has given over 50 local, regional, and national presentations since coming to Wilkes
in the areas of community pharmacy and immunizations. Dr. Welch’s research interests
involve defining and expanding the innovative contributions that community pharmacists
can make to health care and fostering curricular development for student pharmacists
to pursue active community practice. In 2012, he was named Acting Chairperson of Pharmacy
Practice; and in 2013, Acting Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs and Assessment.
Education and Training
- Doctor of Pharmacy, University of Pittsburgh
- Pharmacy Practice Residency with Emphasis in Community Practice, University of North
Carolina – Chapel Hill and Kerr Drug
- Masters of Business Administration, Organizational Development and Leadership, Wilkes
Certificates and Certifications
- Board Certified Ambulatory Care Pharmacist (BCACP)
- Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery
- Self-Care and Dermatology
- Principles of Advanced Community Pharmacy Management
- Alternative Medicine and Nutrition
- Foundations of Pharmacy Practice
- Welch AC and Clouse K. Developing and immunization administration service: A survey
of Pennsylvania pharmacists. Pennsylvania Pharmacist. Mar/Apr 2013; 94(2).
- Berdine H, Dougherty T, Ference J, Karpa K, Klootwyk J, Kozminski M, Leon N, Osborne
M, Welch AC, Willey VJ. The pharmacists’ role in the patient-centered medical home
(PCMH). Annals of Pharmacotherapy. May 2012:46(5):723-750.
- Welch AC, Olenak JL, Culhane NS. Incorporating an immunization certificate training
program into the pharmacy curriculum. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education.
- Welch AC, Ferreri SP, Blalock S, Caiola SM. North Carolina family practice physicians’
perceptions of pharmacists as vaccinators. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association.
- President 2011-12, Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association
- Wilkes University Assessment Committee
- Editorial Advisory Board, Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery
- Reviewer, Journal of the American Pharmacists Association, American Journal of Pharmaceutical
Education, Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning
- Member, American Pharmacists Association, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy,
Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association, Pennsylvania Immunization Coalition, Kappa Psi
Pharmaceutical Fraternity, Luzerne County Pharmacists Association
Selected Honors and Awards
- Pharmacist of the Year - Pennsylvania
- Grand Council Deputy Outstanding Achievement Award, Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity
- Honorable Mention, Immunization Champion Award, Individual Practitioner, American