Wilkes University

GPA Adjustment Policy

The GPA Adjustment Policy is a policy and procedure for a student to request removal of substandard grades in majors for which they are clearly not suited. Removing grades of less than 2.0 may help the student gain confidence in his/her academic ability, choose another academic career path, increase their GPA to be removed from Academic Probation or Ineligibility, and, possibly, reinstate financial aid. This action will only be permitted if the student agrees to the specific conditions detailed below. The complete Policy and Procedure and the Form are available from the Registrar in the Registrar's Office.

The student MUST change majors. This can include changing between declared majors, changing from declared majors to "undeclared", or changing from "undeclared" to declared majors.

The student MUST receive permission from the Department Chair of the new major to invoke this policy or the Director of University College if switching to undeclared. The Chairperson of the Department into which the student desires to transfer has the decision-making authority to accept the new change of major. If the Chairperson of the Department refuses to accept the student, or if the student decides upon "undeclared," the student may contact University College personnel and request a change to "undeclared" status.

The student may initiate the GPA Adjustment Policy anytime during his/her current academic career. A returning student may apply the Policy to previously completed courses with no time limit.

The student may only apply a maximum of 18 credit hours of courses to the GPA Adjustment Policy during his/her academic career at Wilkes. The student must follow the Director of Financial Aid’s Federal Guidelines regarding the maximum number of acceptable credits earned each academic year and minimum GPA. This implies that the Policy may be applied more than once during his/her academic career at Wilkes as long as the student follows the Federal Guidelines and change majors a second time.

If the student decides to return to a major for which the courses were excluded, the original course grades will be reinstated. The courses must be repeated (if needed) to satisfy the requirements of the major.

Courses to which the policy may be applied:

  • Courses specific for majors in which grades of less than 2.0 were recorded on the transcript.
  • "Variable" General Education (GE) courses in which grades of less than 2.0 were recorded on the transcript.

Courses to which the policy CANNOT be applied:

  • "Specific" General Education Courses that include FYF 101, ENG 101, HST 101 or ENG 120, even if grades of less than 2.0 were recorded on the transcript. These courses must be repeated at Wilkes to replace the grade.
  • Courses in which a student received grades of less than 2.0 due to academic dishonesty (cheating, plagiarism, etc.). Faculty must indicate on the GPA Adjustment Form whether the student was accused of academic dishonesty.
  • Courses in which a student received grades of less than 2.0 due to lack of attendance, as defined in the Wilkes University Bulletin or the specific syllabus. Faculty must indicate on the GPA Adjustment Form whether the student received the substandard grade for lack of attendance.

The GPA adjusted course(s) will remain on the transcript and will receive an "E" notation, meaning the grades and the credit hours will be "E"xcluded from GPA calculations. Also, the courses invoked in the policy will be noted in the "comments" section of the transcript. The Registrar will recalculate both the semester and overall GPA.

A student who changed majors prior to the policy being adopted at Wilkes University would not be permitted to eliminate courses, unless s/he changes majors again after the policy was implemented.

The student will follow the following procedure when invoking the GPA Adjustment Policy:

  • The current advisor and the student must work together regarding substandard performance in current major, discuss changing majors/programs and initiate the GPA Adjustment Policy.
  • The student must contact the Student Affairs Office regarding the implication of substandard grades on probation/eligibility status. The student must also consult with the Financial Aid Office regarding the effect of substandard grades on continued financial aid.
  • If the advisor, the director of Student Affairs, and the Financial Aid Director feel the student may gain relief by invoking the GPA Adjustment Policy, the student will initiate the process by obtaining the GPA Adjustment Form from the Registrar's Office.
    • See Form for specific details.
    • The required signatures on the form include: 1) the Chairperson of the new major or Director of University College (Undeclared) and 2) the Faculty of the course(s) involved. The faculty MUST verify on the GPA Adjustment Policy whether the grades were issued for academic dishonesty or lack of attendance. If a faculty member is no longer at Wilkes, the Chairperson may sign-off on this line. If the Chairperson, Dean and University Student Affairs are not familiar with the faculty or student, the student may appear before the Academic Standards Committee and petition for the Policy.
  • The form must be completed and returned to the Registrar's Office. The Registrar and Director of Financial Aid will make all necessary adjustments to the student’s transcript and financial aid document.
  • The Registrar will notify the Academic Standards Committee during regularly scheduled meetings of students invoking this policy.
  • The student must also provide the completed Change of Major Form with the GPA Adjustment Policy Form.