Wilkes University

Appeal of Grade Policy

Students who have a clear and justifiable grievance with reference to a grade should first seek resolution with the instructor and, subsequently, with the department chairperson. It is expected that the chairperson will consult with the faculty member in an effort to resolve the dispute. The chairperson may also exercise the option to involve the appropriate school dean in the discussion with the faculty member.

If satisfaction cannot be obtained, the student has the right to appeal to the Provost. Such appeal must be made by the end of the fourth week of the subsequent fall or spring semester.

The Provost will consult with the appropriate dean and department chairperson and will establish an Appeal Committee of three faculty members at least two of whom shall be from the department of the faculty member involved, if this is possible. A committee chairperson will be appointed by the Provost. The committee chairperson will notify the faculty member of the appeal and the composition of the committee.

The Appeal Committee will hear the student's complaint, interview the faculty member, and study the evidence presented by both parties. If necessary, the Committee may interview other students or faculty in its efforts to determine the facts.

The Committee will make a report to the Provost in which will include a review of the issues and a recommended solution. In most cases, this will be a recommendation to uphold the grade awarded by the instructor or to alter the grade that the student received. In some cases, the recommendation may be to present the student with other alternatives such as the completion of additional work before a final grade is determined.

The Provost will review the committee's recommendation and inform the faculty member and student of his/her decision.