Wilkes University

International Students

Wilkes University’s growing global perspective and commitment to education in an evolving and multicultural world is illustrated by the increasing number of students from abroad who enter Wilkes’ programs. 

All Graduate international students are welcome to apply with the following materials:

If you attended a college/university in the U.S., you must submit an official transcript. Please contact the registrar's office at your prior institution to submit a transcript request. Transcript(s) must be sent directly from the college/university to Wilkes in order to be considered official.

  • Proof of English proficiency - International students must present a sufficient English language proficiency score to enroll as a graduate student.  Please see Official Results of English Proficiency section for more information.
  • Statement of financial verification (bank or government statement) indicating that the applicant's sponsor has on account a sum of money sufficient to pay tuition, room, board, and expenses for one academic year
  • A copy of the picture page of applicant's passport

Applicants are also required to submit necessary materials to satisfy individual program admission requirements, which can be found in their respective sections in the bulletin.

Electronic copies of application materials are accepted for the admissions process however, all official documents must be submitted by orientation day. Please email documents to graduatestudies@wilkes.edu. Applicants are required to submit all application materials to: 

            Wilkes University
            Graduate Admissions
            84 W South Street 
            Wilkes-Barre, PA 18766

Official University Transcript Evaluation:

Students who attended a college/university outside of the US may need to submit a course-by-course evaluation of their foreign transcripts to be considered for admission. Evaluations must be received from the evaluation company, not the student, in order to be considered official.

To be considered official, the evaluation must be received directly from one of the following companies:

Students who attended a college/university within the US must submit an official transcript to Wilkes University from the college/university. Please contact the institution's registrar's office to submit a transcript request. Transcripts must be received from the college/university, not the student, in order to be considered official.

Official Results of English Proficiency:

All international student applicants whose native language is not English and who come from non-English speaking countries must submit proof of English Proficiency. 

Sufficient Scores for Graduate Work are as follows:

TOEFL Paper Based 550
TOEFL Computer Based 214
TOEFL Internet Based 79
IELTS 6.0 or higher
ELS Level 112 Successful Completion  
PTE 50
WESLI Successful Completion of Level 700  
Duolingo 95

Wilkes University will now accept the TOEFL ITP Plus for Chinese students.

All international applicants whose education has been primarily outside the United States of America must provide objective evidence of proficiency in the English language. However, the following exceptions apply:

Applicants primarily educated in the following countries/territories:

American Samoa
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Christmas Islands
Cook Islands
Falkland Islands
Federated States of Micronesia
The Gambia
Hong Kong
Marshall Islands
New Zealand
Norfolk Island
Northern Mariana Islands
Papua New Guinea
Pitcairn Islands
Saint Helena
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Sandwich Islands
Sierra Leone
Solomon Islands
South Africa (English-speaking, i.e. not Afrikaans)
South Georgia Islands
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos Islands
United States
United Kingdom
US Virgin Islands (St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. John)

You must receive a sufficient TOEFL or IELTS score or study in the Intensive English Program in order to begin graduate studies. No academic courses may be completed until the English requirement has been fulfilled.

Submit a statement of financial:

International Students are required to submit a statement of financial verification (bank or government statement) indicating that that the prospective student or student’s sponsor have on account a sum of money sufficient to pay tuition, room, board, and expenses for one academic year. It is generally required that each international student also submits an affidavit of support and bank statement indicating that the applicant has access to funds at least equal to one full year of tuition plus living and personal expenses in the United States.


International students for whom an F-1 visa is required, must submit all required application documents, in addition to all documents described in the Application section above, at least three months prior to the beginning of the semester in which they intend to begin graduate studies. Students should complete their application file by June 15 for admission in the fall semester and by November 15 for admission in the spring semester.

I-20 visa documents:

The U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) Department requires a certificate of eligibility (Form I-20A) to be initiated by the University prior to applying for a student visa to study in this country. Any extension of stay or employment while in the United States must have the prior approval of the regional office of the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

The Form I-20A will only be issued after the application process is complete and the student has been admitted to the institution.

International students in the graduate program must maintain full-time student status (at least 9 credit hours per semester).

Missing required UG courses:

International students may be required to take certain courses for undergraduate credit that are not applicable to the master's degree. In some cases these courses will be specified in the admissions letter or supplementary course study plan, but the Department Chairperson and the student's advisor may add requirements if a student is found to be deficient in the English language or in background knowledge in the field.

International Student Services Requirements

All international students must attend the mandatory orientation with International Student Services of the Center for Global Education and Diversity before they begin their graduate studies. The ISS staff serve as advisors on non-academic matters to all international students.  Services include assistance with visa and other immigration issues; assistance and advice on personal issues; orientation to life in the United States and the American educational system.  ISS staff assist students in dealing with U.S. and foreign government agencies, other campus offices and departments, and the community.  These services are available to all international students.

International Student Academic Status

An international student holding an F-1 visa (or equivalent) must maintain full-time status during the regular semesters (fall and spring) by registering for the minimum number of credits (currently nine) as defined by the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) or for the number of credits remaining in order to complete his or her graduation requirements, whichever is less.

If such student is unable to satisfy the above condition, he or she must petition the Graduate Studies Committee for an exemption. The Committee will accept only reasons recognized and specified by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service.

An international student fulfilling the Thesis option/requirement (currently six credits) will have two continuous semesters to complete his or her work and defend the thesis. However, only the last semester may have fewer than 9 credits total.  A request for an extension must be recommended by the student's Thesis Committee and approved by the Graduate Studies Committee. The decision to either grant or deny the extension must state the reasons AND the time extension granted.

An international student fulfilling the non-Thesis (Report/Project) option/requirement will have one semester to complete his or her report/project. A request for an extension must be recommended by the Program Director and approved by the Graduate Studies Committee. The decision to either grant or deny the extension must state the reasons AND the time extension granted.

To meet the definition of CPT, the employment must meet at least one of the following criteria:

  1. The employment will yield crucial data which is absolutely necessary to complete the student's required thesis, i.e., it would not even be possible to complete the thesis without this employment.
  2. The employment is absolutely necessary for the student to complete a project for which he or she will receive academic credit that directly counts towards the student's formal degree requirements. It will be impossible for the student to complete the project without this particular employment, and the project will earn credits that will fulfill a specific degree requirement in the student's program.

An international student who elects to do an internship, including Curricular Practical Training (CPT), must be placed in such internship and have such internship monitored by the Office of Cooperative Education. There must be a clearly defined curricular need for such internship placement.