Wilkes University



Various work-study programs let you work and...

earn money to help pay for school. Research shows that students who work while attending college generally have higher grades, graduate faster, and more easily find jobs after graduation. For these reasons and the financial benefits, we encourage you to consider employment as an option for financing your education.

The Federal Work-Study Program (FWSP)...

funded jointly by the federal government and the University, provides students with the opportunity to work on campus and utilize these earnings to help meet educational costs. Students are paid an hourly rate of minimum wage to $9.50. Students may not work more than 20 hours during any week in which classes are held (including summer) and not more than 35 hours during periods in which no classes are held. Students are paid monthly by check. To be considered for the FWSP, students must meet the same eligibility requirements as those stated for the Pell Grant and be enrolled on at least a half-time basis.

FWSP funds are also available to students who work for community nonprofit organizations as part of the Cooperative Education and Community Service programs. A list of available campus employment positions is available on our website.

For more information about the Federal Work-Study program read the US Department of Education's Student Guide.

The University Student Employment Program...

provides employment opportunities similar to those of the FWSP except that funds for this program are provided solely by the University, and students are not required to demonstrate financial need but must be enrolled full-time to participate in the University program. The rate of pay and payment procedures are identical to those of the Federal Work-Study Program. A list of available campus employment positions is available on our website.

The State Work-Study Program (SWSP)...

funded by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and administered by PHEAA, provides assistance to needy Pennsylvania residents attending approved Pennsylvania post-secondary institutions. Through this program, the future employability of students is enhanced through placement in career-related and/or community-enrichment positions or with public and private sector employers. Students must be Pennsylvania residents and receive a PHEAA State Grant or Subsidized Stafford Loan to qualify. Click here for PHEAA applications

The Job Locator Development Program (JLD)...

is supported by the federal government and the University. Part-time, full-time and summer employment opportunities are sought for students who wish to work off campus. Students are paid by the employer for whom they work. For more information, interested students should contact the Job Locator Office at the Max Roth Development Program.

Off-Campus Employment

The Career Services Center, located on the Wilkes University campus, provides students with information about prospective employers in the Wilkes-Barre area. Jobs are available for students seeking full-time, part-time, and summer employment. Students are paid by the employer for whom they work.