Wilkes University

General Information

Financial Aid

The Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, PHEAA State Grant, College Work Study, Perkins Loan, and Stafford Student Loan are available to part-time students. To apply, you must complete the appropriate applications. In addition to financial need, eligibility for financial aid is based on enrollment status. All programs except the Pell Grant require at least half-time enrollment.

If you are registered for 6-8 credits, you may qualify for approximately one-half the full-time award. Those registered for 9-11 credits qualify for approximately three-quarters of the full-time award. Students who are enrolled half time (at least six credits) may also be eligible for a PHEAA state grant for part-time students. Inquiries about financial aid should be directed to the Student Services Office at 570-408-2000.

You must be accepted into a degree-seeking program before the Financial Aid Office can process a Financial Aid application. You can be accepted by the Admissions Office only after the application and necessary transcripts have been received. Please call the Office of Part-Time Programs with any questions regarding part-time acceptance.

Employer-Paid Tuition Reimbursement

Wilkes will gladly defer payment for students who have tuition benefits from their employers. Deferment forms and additional information are available from the Office of Part-Time Programs.

Veterans' Affairs

Information about veterans' benefits is available through the Veterans' Office in Student Services Center, or by calling 570-408-4858.

Graduating Seniors

If you plan to complete a degree from Wilkes at the conclusion of the summer, please remember to register for GRD 000, so all appropriate offices can be notified and your graduation clearance can be processed.

Residence Hall & Dining Facilities

Residence hall space is available to students during all summer sessions. All residence hall fees must be paid prior to taking occupancy. The goods and services with which the student will be provided will include a 15-meal-per-week board plan (Mon-Fri only, Day Session I and II), laundry facilities, a living space furnished with a bed, desk, desk chair, dresser, and wardrobe/closet space. All meals will be taken in the Henry Student Center's Cuscela Memorial Dining Room.

Contact the Residence Life Office at 570-408-4350 or 800-WILKESU, x4350, for more information.

Day Care

Day care is available for young children of full-time Wilkes students at any licensed day care center. These services are partially subsidized by the University. Call 570-408-4110, or stop by the University's Student Affairs Office in Conyngham Hall, room 210, for more information.

Free Services

The Wilkes University Act 101 Program offers a variety of free services to financially and academically eligible part-time students. Services include counseling, individual and group workshops, study labs, and study skills sessions. The Act 101 Office is located on the third floor of the Conyngham Student Center and can be reached at 570-408-4150

Transfer Policies

Academic counselors work with you to ensure that you meet the requirements for graduation. Transfer students must closely observe the following policies:

  1. You must complete at least 60 credits at a baccalaureate degree-granting institution.
  2. At least one-half of your major field credits must be completed at Wilkes.
  3. You must earn a minimum of 30 credits, excluding advance placement credits, at Wilkes.
  4. You must achieve a minimum 2.0 cumulative average in all courses and within your major field by the end of the senior year.
To graduate with honors from Wilkes, you must complete a minimum of 60 credits through the University. Honors are based on your cumulative average at Wilkes and over your entire academic history. Honors designations are as follows:
  • Cum Laude: 3.40 or greater
  • Magna Cum Laude: 3.60 or greater
  • Summa Cum Laude: 3.80 or greater

Learning Center

Wilkes strives to create an educational environment in which you can feel comfortable asking questions and seeking additional help. The University's Learning Center is designed to provide academic support. The center offers a variety of free services, including tutoring, study sessions, and workshops in task management, test taking, and study skills. Many of these services are ideal if you are returning to college and want to hone your academic skills.

The Learning Center is located on the third floor of the Conyngham Student Center and can be reached at 570-408-4150.

Change of Schedule

Wilkes reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any course due to insufficient enrollment or any other reason. When possible, any change in the course schedule will be posted during registration. Students who have registered for courses that are subsequently cancelled or rescheduled will be notified as soon as possible.

Alpha Sigma Lambda

Alpha Sigma Lambda is a national honor society for adult students in continuing higher education. Wilkes University has formed a chapter of Alpha Sigma Lambda, Eta Pi, to honor students earning degrees on a part-time basis.

To earn membership in Alpha Sigma Lambda, you must complete a minimum of 30 credits through Wilkes (including at least 15 outside your major field), attend Wilkes for at least four semesters, and rank in the highest 10 percent of students with senior standing. Minimum grade point average is 3.2.