Are you self-directed and self-motivated? Ambitious in welcoming challenges? Curious and eager to learn about the world around you? Open to encountering the unfamiliar, with all of its risks and rewards?
Then you will find the Wilkes University Honors community a welcome home. As a Wilkes Honors Program student, you will benefit from educational opportunities that enhance your intellectual, personal and professional development; your participation in the Wilkes campus community; and your preparation for post-graduation success.
Honors components enable students to pursue breadth, depth, complexity and/or interdisciplinarity within their undergraduate education.
The Honors Program Cultivates Opportunities For
- independent work, including research or creative performance;
- experiential learning, including study abroad or internships; and
- engagement with the unfamiliar, including people, places or ideas new to the student.
Specific Opportunities Include
- honors coursework that rewards ambition for more expansive academic challenges;
- grant funding to support study abroad, research, internship, conference and similar co-curricular experiences outside of class;
- Honors housing for first-year residential honors students to build connections among those of different backgrounds and interests;
- preferential course selection to support honors students’ ambitions when registering for classes;
- no additional cost for course overload related to honors work to ease students’ pursuit of their academic ambitions;
- social events such as field trips, dinners and access to notable speakers to connect students with each other and with new experiences and potential mentors beyond campus; and
- special notation on transcript and recognition at Commencement.
Through these opportunities, students develop the following skills:
- critical thinking (ability to make evidence-based arguments and judgments);
- meta-awareness (thinking not only about what is happening, but also about how and why it is happening, in order to act purposefully);
- comfort with ambiguity, uncertainty and the unfamiliar;
- problem solving;
- project management;
- clear and persuasive writing; and
- clear and persuasive oral presentation.
Such Skills Advance
- intellectual, personal and professional development;
- contributions to the campus community; and
- post-graduate success, whether through employment or continued education.
Our program partners with faculty, departments and schools and colleges across campus that foster independent research and innovative ideas, study abroad and internship support, and other initiatives to build friendships, provide mentoring, and link tomorrow’s leaders with those of today.
We embrace the Wilkes University values
And Also Emphasizes Our Own Values
- Academic distinction
We seek individuals committed to these values in their educational, personal and professional pursuits. Explore our website to gain additional insight into our program and our community. For further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.