As a nurse, you will make a difference in the lives of those around you. Whether you hope to work in an elementary school or an emergency room, Wilkes University’s Passan School of Nursing will provide the comprehensive nursing education you need to give patients the complex and compassionate care they deserve.
As a nursing student at Wilkes, you will enjoy the distinction of participating in one of the few programs in the state to receive accreditation for a 10-year term by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, assuring a quality, comprehensive curriculum.
As the only university in northeastern Pennsylvania with a freestanding school of nursing, Wilkes University’s nursing program emphasizes hands-on patient care and clinical experience. In fact, our nursing program requires three years of clinical experience; most programs require only two years. We combine our comprehensive curriculum with the unique mentoring culture of a small, liberal arts university to give you the education you need to be a leader in an ever-evolving and increasingly demanding world of health care.
Wilkes B.S. in nursing graduates taking the NCLEX-RN achieved a 93.55% pass rate.
The Institute of Medicine called for 80 percent of the nursing workforce to have bachelor’s degrees by 2020.
Our bachelor’s degree program and successful completion of the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) lead to licensure as a registered nurse. With more hospitals today requiring entry-level nurses to have bachelor’s degrees, the Passan School of Nursing gives you an advantage in the job market as well as a solid foundation if you choose to further your education at the master’s or doctoral level.
If you are a practicing RN or LPN and you want to advance in your career, Wilkes offers an RN to BSN program and an LPN to BSN program designed with your expertise and busy schedule in mind.
The traditional bachelor of science degree program in nursing require you to take a minimum of 126 credits. Please click here for specific course requirements in the Wilkes University Bulletin.
Wilkes University’s Passan School of Nursing immerses you in a hands-on learning environment. We feature:
- three years of clinical practice – one more year to hone your patient skills than most schools offer;
- a senior practicum that allows you to work side-by-side with a faculty advisor and practicing mentor in an area hospital or health care agency;
- interprofessional education, where you’ll learn to work with physicians, pharmacists and others as a part of an integrated health care team;
- the chance for you to participate in health fairs, where you can give flu vaccines, provide education, check blood pressure and monitor blood sugar.
- two smart classrooms;
- medical surgical, critical care and pediatric/obstetrics suites set up like real hospital rooms;
- computer lab and student lounge;
- home health suite;
- three high-fidelity manikins—lifelike computer-controlled models that can simulate bleeding, breathing and changing skin color;
- three moderate-fidelity manikins and other training tools.
As an RN with a bachelor’s degree, you will enjoy a range of career options including:
- Nurse Manager
- Community Health Nurse
- Flight Nurse
- Travel Nurse
- Critical Care Nurse
- Emergency Room Nurse
- Medical-Surgical Nurse
- Pediatric Nurse
- Patient Educator