20 "Lighter" Things You Should Know About Wilkes
- Wilkes has a 97% job placement rate.
- Each year, more than 585 freshman take their seats in Wilkes classrooms.
- The average class size is 23 students.
- More than 90% of Wilkes faculty hold the highest degree possible in their discipline.
- Wilkes is named in honor of John Wilkes, a Colonial sympathizer who was often poked
fun at for his severely crossed eye.
- Wilkes has 20 NCAA Division III teams.
- Wilkes has over 70 clubs and organizations.
- The Wilkes campus spans 35 acres.
- The late Dean George Ralston, "the Father of Wilkes athletics," was the first coach
of the football, basketball and baseball programs.
- Wilkes opened in 1933 as a two-year campus affiliated with Bucknell University.
- The $35 million Cohen Science Center opened in 2013 and is LEED-certified.
- Wilkes students, staff, and faculty volunteer more than 64,000 hours each year.
- The ratio of male to female undergraduates at Wilkes is practically 1:1.
- Wilkes students come from more than 19 states and 11 foreign nations.
- Award-winning bodybuilder Frank Zane is a 1964 Wilkes alumnus.
- 1991 Wilkes graduate John Robert McLaughlin tussled with Joey Tribbiani in a 1998
episode of NBC's Friends.
- There are more than 24,000 living Wilkes alumni.
- The Wilkes library contains more than 220,000 books.
- The campus bell tower is 61 feet high.
- The Wilkes baseball field is the location of Babe Ruth's longest home run -- more
than 600 feet! Read more here.