Sturdevant Hall is a co-ed living environment. The capacity of this building is 46 beds with a support staff of two RA’s. Singles, doubles, and triples are offered as housing options.
Sturdevant Hall has been known to flip flop in function. It is currently home to students,
but in recent history, those students shared the first floor with our Residence Life
Office. During the summer of 2004, our Admissions Office moved in for a three-month
Sturdevant was spruced up with new furniture and kitchen/laundry/bathroom renovations in the summer of 2002.
Depending on when you were hereyou might have varying recollections of Sturdevant
Hall and its functions on campus.
It has housed the Registrar's office, the Financial Services office, the Upward Bound program, the computer center and the office of the Dean of Engineering, the Department of Education, the Office of Residence Life, and of course, students! By the way, all of that happened between the '70s and now!
- 1841, John Dorrance, the minister of the First Presbyterian Church, purchased the property on which our Sturdevant Hall now stands from the Butler family. The exact construction date of the home is not known, but we do know it was once used as a church house where social events were sometimes held.
- 1862, Stephen Leonard Thurlow purchased the property from the Dorrance estate. As a side note, Mr. Thurlow later built the home now known as Kirby Hall, one of Wilkes'grandest and most-loved mansions.
- Late nineteenth century, a physician named Jesse Thomas bought the home. In 1913, ownership of the home was passed to William H. Sturdevant, Thomas' son-in-law. Sturdevant was a civil engineer who produced two atlases of the city of Wilkes-Barre.
- Early twentieth century, the left side of the house (131) was added to the original structure (129) to make two residences. This new addition was then divided into apartments.
- 1942, Dr. Maurice Alhborn commissioned a Wilkes-Barre architect named Robert A. Eyerman to make several changes to the layout of the apartments on his (131) side.
Wilkes moves in!
- In the late 1940s, Wilkes used the off-campus building as a place to conduct classes and social events.
- In 1952, Wilkes began referring to 129 South Franklin Street -- the 'first half' of the double-block home -- as Sturdevant Hall. The home was acquired in September of 1951, from the estate of Jesse T. Sturdevant and was named for his family. The building was put to use as a classroom and office building.
- In March of 1962, Wilkes purchased 131 South Franklin Street -- the 'second half' of the double-block home -- from the Ahlborn family. After this purchase, the whole building (129 and 131) was used as a female residence hall from 1962-1983.