Kimberly A. Ference
Dr. Ference joined Wilkes University in 2008. Before joining Wilkes, Dr. Ference held a position as a Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Oklahoma in Tulsa, OK. Her current clinical practice site is at the Volunteers in Medicine (VIM) clinic in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. VIM is a free clinic that serves working, uninsured residents of Luzerne County. At VIM, she is the Director of Pharmacotherapy. Dr. Ference also runs a pharmacotherapy service where she and her team provide several clinical services focusing on education and management for the following disease states: diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidemia, tobacco abuse, asthma and COPD. Her areas of interest include diabetes, cardiovascular risk reduction and information mastery.
Education and Training
- Doctor of Pharmacy, Wilkes University
- Primary Care Pharmacy Residency, Wilkes University (In conjunction with Wilkes-Barre Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Wyoming Valley Health Care System Family Practice)
- Faculty Leadership Fellowship, University of Oklahoma Health Science Center
Certificates and Certifications
- Basic Life Support Certification
- Breathe Well, Live Well Facilitator Training – American Lung Association
- Pharmacy Based Immunization Delivery – American Pharmacist Association
- Open Airways Asthma Certificate – American Lung Association
- Professional Compounding Centers of America Certificate
- Foundations of Pharmacy Practice (various topics)
- Pharmaceutical Care Lab – Drug Information and Information Mastery
- Longitudinal Care Lab
- Ference K, Hirthler K, Clarke V, Easton D, Waline V. Student Perceptions of an Interprofessional Experience in a Clinic Setting. Presented at The Collaborating Across Borders Conference in Vancouver, BC June 2013.
- Ference JD, Ference KA. Asthma and COPD. In: Reinhold JA, Earl G, eds. Clinical Therapeutics Primer: Link to the Evidence for the Ambulatory Care Pharmacist. Burlington: Jones & Bartlett; 2014. p. 307-42.
- Ference K . The Community Pharmacists Role in Diabetes Treatment. America’s Pharmacist. 2010 Nov; 29-51.
- Longyhore DL, Ference K, Nanstiel B. An Elective Course in Information Mastery. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2011; 75 (2)1-8.
- 2013-2014 Chair; Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association Education Committee
- Faculty Advisor; Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association
- Member; Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association Conference Committee
- Chair; Wilkes University School of Pharmacy Assessment Committee
Selected Honors and Awards
- Nominee; TREC Part-Time Teacher of the Year