Office: Cohen Science Center
Dr. Prahlad N. Murthy
College of Science and Engineering
Dr. Murthy has been teaching at Wilkes University since 1993. He has taught various courses in environmental engineering and earth sciences from freshman to senior level and continues to serve as an advisor to senior capstone design and independent research projects. He is actively involved with the Air & Waste Management Association (A&WMA) and has been serving as the faculty advisor to the Wilkes University Student Chapter of A&WMA since its inception in 1999. Dr. Murthy has also been serving as a program evaluator for ABET for many years. He has served as the department chair and is currently serving as the associate dean for the College of Science & Engineering.
Education and Training
- Ph.D. Civil & Environmental Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
- M.E. Environmental Engineering, Anna University, Chennai, India.
- B.E. Civil Engineering, Bangalore University, Bangalore, India.
Certificates and Certifications
- Board Certified Environmental Engineer (BCEE), American Academy of Environmental Engineers
- Professional Engineer (PE), Delaware and Pennsylvania
- Qualified Environmental Professional (QEP), Inst. of Professional Environmental Practice (IPEP)
- Certified ABET Program Evaluator
- Air Quality
- Air Pollution Control
- Water & Wastewater Treatment
- Principles of Environmental Engineering
- Murthy, P.N. , Weinrich, J.J., Johnson, C., and Skoronski, D. T. Good Practices in Marcellus Shale Drilling: Creation and Analysis of a Gas Lease Database Using Geospatial Technologies in Proceedings: 104th Annual Conference & Exhibition, Air & Waste Management Association, Orlando, FL, June 2011.
- Murthy, P.N. Using local and regional issues to involve undergraduate students in environmental engineering research , 105th Annual Conference and Exhibition, Air & Waste Management Association, San Antonio, Texas, June 2012.
- Bruns, D.A., and Murthy P.N. Environmental and Geospatial Elements in Homeland Security: The Nuclear Question, GIS for Local Government Conference, State College, PA, October 2005.
- Bruns, D.A., Troy, M.A., and Murthy, P.N. Environmental Monitoring – Research and Homeland Security, a panel discussion on Emerging Technologies, the Pennsylvania Environmental Professionals Annual Meeting, Scranton, PA, May 2005.
- Associate Dean, College of Science & Engineering, 2010-present
- Chairperson, erstwhile GeoEnvironmental Sciences & Engineering Department, 2002-05
- Member, Faculty Affairs Council (FAC), 2008-10
- Member, Faculty Development Committee (FDC), 1998-2001
- Chair, Tenure & Promotion Committee (TAP), 2007-08
- Chair, Mid-Atlantic States Section-A&WMA, 2013
- Vice-Chair, Mid-Atlantic States Section-A&WMA, 2012
Selected Honors and Awards
- Wilkes University Alumni Mentorship Award, 2005, 2013
- Education Award - Mid-Atlantic States Section of AWMA, 1999
- Outstanding Teaching, 1997
- Air & Waste Management Association Members-get-Member Campaign, 2008