Conyngham Student Center 570-408-3232 (T) 570-408-4907 (F) Email
There are more than 800 graduates of the Wilkes University Upward Bound program.
We want to hear from all of you so please update us on how you are doing. Please contact us via e-mail
Alumni Association Minutes: July 16, 2013
1. Meeting was called to order at 6:07 P.M.
2. April minutes were reviewed and approved.
3. Staff Reports
- Has been meeting with students to discuss college ideas and concerns.
- College Fair is set for Friday, July 19th. Fifty-six students from East Stroudsburg University's Upward Bound and 15 from Bloomsburg University's Upward Bound will join Wilkes UB for a campus tour and Wilkes Admissions presentation.
- Career Mentorships are going well. Students are gaining experience being in a workplace environment. Placements include: Luzerne County Historical Society (2 students), Osterhout Free Library (2 studentsCatholic Youth Center (4 students), Educational Data Systems (2 students), Peace and Justice Center (2 students), Public Defender’s Office (2 students), and WB Chamber of Business and Industry (2 students).
- Bridge Program completed. All eight students took two classes each that will transfer to the institution they plan to attend in the fall. Classes included: Intro to Psychology, Intro to Sociology, Historical Foundations of the Modern World, and Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- Attended Priority 5 training for two days in Atlantic City. Training covered pre-college recruitment, assessing needs of hard-to-reach college populations, and mentoring. Training also had break-out groups that focused on students with disabilities, workforce connections, and alternative learning.
- The Summer Program is going well with 49 students and eight Bridgers. The RD, ARD, and two tutor counselors returned for another summer. Three new TCs were hired and are working well. The Alumni picnic was held in Conyngham Hall. It was a good opportunity for alumni, summer residential staff, UB staff, and Bridgers to mingle.
- PA Community Fellows Program lost funding for the 2013-2014 school year. Currently there are two fellows, Jessica Baker and Bobbielynn Richardson. The program is hoping to receive alternative funding to allow us to keep the students.
- Our UB funding was cut by 5.23% for the 2013-2014 academic year. We have the option of reducing the amount of students served from 125 to 119. Dawn feels confident that other areas can be cut in order to avoid student reduction, such as the elimination of the fall educational trip.
- Approximately 45 students will be taken to the Baltimore Inner Harbor to celebrate the end of summer program. They will go to the Maryland Science Center, where they will explore interactive science exhibits, watch an IMAX movie, and view the Planetarium. Students will also go to Medieval Times for dinner/show on Sunday, August 4th. Sarah, Mickie, and Dawn will be chaperones, along with some of the TCs.
- There were 50 students for the summer program, but one did not complete the program.Wednesday meetings are going well. The sharing of information about students is helpful and many positives are being heard.
- Progress Reports – Teachers are impressed with the students but do have concerns for a few due to their lack of follow through with work.
- There are two new teachers. Teaching Art is Devon O’Keefe and teaching Music is John Fitzgerald.
4. Treasury Report
• Checking as of July 17, 2013 $1,722.19 (+75)
• Savings $1,502.80
• March CD $1,000
• Tom J. Scholarship $259.08 (-75)
*$75 will be transferred to checking due to graduation
5. Committee Reports
A. Fundraising Committee
- Wine Trip – Has been postponed due to bus problems.
- Camden, NJ trip – Is priced too high.
- Renting a Movie Theater – We brought a movie to Wilkes instead for a movie night.
B. Scholarship Committee
- Jenn Earley is voted in as a member.
D. Student Interaction
- There will be no ice cream from Hillside Farms for the summer program this year – we did a movie night instead.
- A suggestion to have an Alumni Board table to help students during the College Fair was given.
- A Friday afternoon activity with the alumni during the summer program was suggested.
- Celebration of Achievement Night is on Thursday, August 1st.
- The Fall semester starts in September.
- For the Junior Seminar alumni visit night, the alumni will meet with students in January.
7. Old Business
- Movie Night for the summer is done.
- Vision Statement – on hold until Shawn meets with Bloomsburg Alumni.
- The students picked up trash around the campus and the river as part of a Community Service Project.
- Advice Books, compiled by Gabriella Conover, were distributed during graduation.
- Shawn is getting certified in First Aid and CPR as an instructor. He can use this to help certify summer staff.
- A Knoebels trip for alumni is a possibility for next year.
8. Set Next Meeting
October 15, 2013 @ 6:00 P.M.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:53 P.M.