Cohen Science Center 570-408-4618 (T) 570-408-7865 (F) Email
Directions from Wilkes University to Wallops Island
- Travel north on River Street in Wilkes-Barre, past the General Hospital, and get on the Cross Valley Expressway and 115 South.
- Pick up PA Turnpike 476 South towards Allentown and Philadelphia at the top of the ridge.
- Bypass Philadelphia, staying on I-476 S, and merge into I-95 South towards Wilmington, DE.
- Proceed on I-95 South through the port of Wilmington (alternatively use I-495 South bypass which eventually remerges with I-95 South). Continue toward exit 4A. About 2 miles before exit 4A, move over into the right lanes. There is a little metal silo on your right at exit 4A. Watch for merging traffic as you get off the interstate. Stay to the right for Christiana Mall Road and 1 South. Go around the clover leaf and merge on Highway 1 South toward Dover, DE.
- Follow Route 1 South to Dover and seashore points. Eventually after crossing the Cheasapeake-Delaware canal on the new bridge, Highway 1 degrades to a portion of the old 4-lane highway 13 South towards Smyrna, DE. There is a nice rest area at Smyrna with easy access back to Route 1 South.
- Follow Route 1 South towards Dover, DE. Take exit 97 towards 13 South. Continue on Route 13 South to Salisbury, MD. You do not want to go through Salisbury. Take the 13 Bypass just past the Lowes hardware you'll see on your right.
- Continue on 13 South through Pokomoke, MD. About 3 miles after you cross the VA/MD border, get over into the left lane. You will see "T’s Exxon" on your left and a stop light.
- Turn left onto Route 175 East towards Chincoteague, VA.
- Stay on 175 East for 2.7 miles; bear left at the yellow Roller Rink called the Dream. Watch for the Amoco Quik Mart on your left. Just after the Amoco, turn left on Mill Dam Road. Go about 1 mile and you will see a sign that says Marine Sciences Consortium on your left. The office is on Enterprise Street.
- Total trip distance is about 290 miles.