Font Size: T T T

International Students

Mesa, Arizona • 800-WILKES U, x6372 (T) or 570-408-MESA (T) • Email

Wilkes University’s growing global perspectiveand commitment to education in an evolving and multicultural world is illustrated by the increasing number of students from abroad who study here. 

All Graduate international students are welcome to apply and submit the following:

1. A completed application (link to live application)

Each graduate program has a checklist of materials required for admission. These checklist items can be monitored online once your application is submitted at: (new application link).  Please use the username and password you created with your online application to login.   All international students must submit items 1-4 listed on this page and based on your program of interest additional items are required for example you may also have to send  letters of recommendation, statements of goals, licenses, and/or writing samples.     

In addition to individual program requirements, all international students are required to submit the following to:
            Student Services - Graduate Studies
            Wilkes University
            84 W South Street
            Wilkes-Barre, PA 18766

2. Secondary school and/or university transcript.

International graduate students are required to send official transcripts to
World Education Services when applying for any graduate program at Wilkes University. Contact the College of Graduate and Professional Studies with any questions.    

3. Official results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (

Sufficient scores for graduate work are as follows:

TOEFL Paper Based
TOEFL Computer Based
TOEFL Internet Based

Scores on these standardized tests will determine which level of the Intensive English Program (IEP) the student will enter upon arrival.  Graduate students must receive a sufficient TOEFL or
IELTS score to exit the Wilkes University ESL program.  No academic courses may be completed until English requirement is fulfilled. (Please see IEP exit criteria).

4. Statement of financial verification (bank or government statement indicating that you or your sponsor have on account a sum of money sufficient to pay tuition, room, board, and expenses for one academic year.

5. A copy of the picture page of your passport

Applicants who plan to begin school in August should complete the online application and submit all admissions documents by June 15. Those who plan to begin in January should return applications and documents by November 15.

All applicants will be informed as to the admissions decision. The Form I-20 is sent only with a letter of acceptance.

Domestic Transfer Students

Once you have been admitted into the Graduate Program of your choice you are required to transfer your SEVIS number from the domestic college or university to Wilkes University.

In order to transfer your SEVIS record to Wilkes University, please submit a copy of your Wilkes acceptance letter and the International
Transfer Student Form to your Designated School Official (DSO) at your current institution and/or follow the procedures for international transfer students at your current school.  The DSO will complete the International Student Transfer Form and fax it back to Felixa Wingen at (570) 408-3626.  Your DSO will then transfer your SEVIS record to Wilkes University.  Once you start classes, we will issue you a new I-20 for your studies at Wilkes.  If you have any questions about this process please your current advisor.

When you come to pick up your new I-20 from Wilkes University you should bring all relevant documents with you.  Those documents are:

  • Your passport with visa and I-94
  • Your old I-20
  • Your Wilkes acceptance letter
  • Your completed International Student Transfer Form (could be faxed by your old DSO in advance)
  • Financial documents that show that you or your sponsors have sufficient funding for your education at Wilkes University

Please try to have to have your SEVIS record transferred to Wilkes University as soon as possible, once the current semester is over.

If you plan to travel outside the country, it is recommended that you transfer your SEVIS record to Wilkes University first and then use your new I-20 from Wilkes University to reenter the country.

International Deferment Fee
Should an international student wish to defer to the following semester, there is a $50 deferment fee for processing.

  • |
  • Wilkes University |
  • Mesa, Arizona |
  • 1-800-WILKES-U ext. 6372
  • |
  • Privacy Policy