44 South River Street 570-408-4350 (T) 570-408-5096 (F) Email
McClintock Hall is one of the few buildings on campus...
that has served continuously as a residence hall since the time it became part of the Wilkes campus.
The dorm features an enormous lounge area, which has some unusual features -- a grand piano, floor-to-ceiling mirrors, and a three-paned stained-glass inlay in the ceiling. Over one of its three fireplaces is a collage made up of pictures of the home furnished in its original décor.
On the less formal side, the lounge also has a ping-pong table for a bit of friendly competition.
|rooms... 3 singles, 6 doubles, 2 triples, 1 double apt
average room size... 15' x 14'
listed on... the National Register of Historic Places, 1972
original cost to build... about $3000!
If you were at Wilkes in 1951...
you might remember the addition of McClintock Hall to campus. The building was donated to Wilkes College by Attorney Gilbert Stuart McClintock (1886-1959) who was the chair of the Wilkes Board of Trustees and a grandson of the original owner. Gilbert Stuart McClintock was also an autograph collector -- he had signatures of all of the presidents up to and including Eisenhower! Gilbert McClintock was known for his civic leadership and was dubbed "Mr. Wilkes-Barre" during the latter years of his life.
The building, constructed of native brick and accented with an imported Philadelphia brick façade, was built around 1841, as a home for Attorney Andrew Todd McClintock (1810-1892). At that time, it only cost about $3,000 to build the magnificent mansion! Two later generations of McClintocks also occupied the home.
Unlike its New England style neighbor, Catlin Hall, the original home was built in Greek Revival style. However, after major renovations in 1844, 1863, and 1901, the home now features Victorian additions and is almost three times the size of the original dwelling. It stands on the site of a building that was used as a store and post office in the early nineteenth century.
Andrew Todd McClintock also owned law-office building next to McClintock Hall, at 34 South River Street. This structure was erected in three sections, however the exact date of construction is not known.
The law office was willed to Wilkes upon the death of Gilbert McClintock in 1959. The law office became the College's Guidance and Placement Center. A small structure that stood behind the Center then became a snack bar for north-end students.
In addition to the home and office building, Wilkes was lucky enough to receive the McClintock family's collection of antique furniture and artwork, as well as books and manuscripts that pertain to the history of Northeast Pennsylvania. This collection is now housed in the McClintock Room of the Farley Library.