146 South River Street
That's what the quaint cottage style of the Annette Evans House seems to say to alumni who return to Wilkes.
Although this is an administrative building -- housing the offices of the Alumni Relations staff -- its kitchen and living/dining rooms make it a perfect gathering place for old and new friends.
|former home of...E.S. Farley, 1st president of Wilkes
If you were at Wilkes in 1949...
the building at 146 South River Street was the "new" home of Eugene Farley, Wilkes' first President, and his wife. The addition of this building to campus allowed the Farleys to vacate the third floor of Kirby Hall -- then used as the Wilkes library -- and free up space for the College's growing book collection.
When the Farleys later moved to another property at 30 West River Street, their house at 146 South River Street became the Annette Evans Alumni House, named for a member of the Board of Trustees and a generous benefactor of Wilkes.
The Tudor Revival style home was designed by architects Innes and Levy and built circa 1928 for a businessman named Harry R. Hirshowitz.
In her will, Evans had bequeathed her family home at 117 West River Street to Wilkes for the use of the Alumni Association. Unfortunately, the home's structure was heavily damaged in the Agnes Flood of 1972, and had to be razed soon afterwards.